Can't decide

And right after I tell you that it had stopped smoking, it starts again lol, probably 4in on the ground...in places it hasn't blown away.

WildMax said:
Man, I don't want to get reamed for saying anything negative about Yamaha but if you're looking to ditch bang and stay in that price range, consider the past "snocross" type sleds. The Yamahas of that era might not be the best choice - the Nitro of recent years is the closest but you're talking a lot more money. I think the Cats had a good set up for that time for that style. Doos were ok but still had the trailing arm on most. Both had less weight than the SRX.

I mainly run Yamaha (sleds, quads and bikes) and have had a still have a lot of them. Like many other Yamaha loyalists, I have been frustrated with the lack of a great boondocking+ditch banging+trail sled in their lineup. Ski Doo's late model Renegade seems to be the choice sled now - and it shows in the resale values. I work on lots of sleds and will say that overall, Yamaha pays a lot better attention to detail than any of the others. All the manufacturers put out a good product - otherwise they would not be in business. If you are able to do so, get out to the sledding stop over places and strike up a conversation with riders. Some might talk up their sled but you can see what the predominant type is for what you might want to do. Also, any sled that has had heavy use for ditch banging is going to pay the price.

you, sir, should be awarded a prize for the most level headed comment of the day! I love yami, and also believe they have thought out their product the most (it certainly shows when you go to work on them, bolted together a LOT better than some!) but there has been a lot better ditch bangers from other makes. yamaha seems to be the most real world sled for me, as I live in NH and we have a great trail system, no real need to have a ditch banger when there arent any ditches lol! for a high mileage trail sled I feel yamaha has always been on top. maybe not the fastest or flashiest, but it always gets you there and will do the same thing tomorrow ;)!

I think you'll be alot happier in the end with The SRX,
I like viperguys comment, Yamaha are seriously so solid compared to other makes, I got a 79 enticer thats still getting speeding tickets in Ontario, and runs like a top

For ditch banging, I would not even concider the SRX. The suspension is for high speed lake racing and High speed smooth trails. The XT has a red head triple no power valves to gum up and stick, much longer suspension. In my opinion a much better choice for the type of riding you are looking for. The Red head engines seem to outlast the power valved engines also. I know I will get flamed for telling you this, but in reality the SRX is a Lake Racer not a ditch banger, it was not intended as such either. Good luck with you decision. Al

SRX All the way! I love my 2000 srx! I have the pioneer long travel kit in my sled and In my opinion its way better than my 2000 sxr, which would be similar to vmax xt. I may be biased but the srx's are just SWEET!

Thanks for all the advice everybody! What a great forum! However it looks like the srx has been beat to hell lol, so I'm kinda shying away from it. I have just come across a 2000 Polaris ( I know, this is a Yamaha forum lol) xc 700 deluxe anniversary edition for $1900, any thoughts on that?

the xc is a pretty decent sled and the 700 is a good runner, but the anniversary edition is NOT going to be a ditch sled at all. they called it an xc, but in reality it is like a trail deluxe. soft suspension with elec adjust, electric start and reverse, etc. the standard xc would be a much better choice imho. if you were considering that sled, I would get the xt first. but I am a yamaha fan. although I do like at least one of everything, they have all made decent stuff. heck, they have all made a turd here and there as well lol!

Back