c'mon what's up???

killerklown

OK this is driving me nuts! It seems to be a generational thing, and I must have missed it. What's up with you guys who stand up while driving your sled, no matter how fast, or the conditions? I meet guy zipping across baby smooth fields, cornering throught woods, whatever and they're standing up. And I mean straight up. 60% of them seem to have the helmet mohawk, so is trhat part of the stand up driver uniform?
I'm not calling names, bashing or whatever. I just wanna know why?!?!?

I stand up to stretch my legs and back out. Sometimes ride that way for miles, It just feels good to stretch out a little bit. I am 6'1" 340 lbs.

they are the same guys that stand up while backing up the sled and mash the throttle with their leg. That one always cracks me up. Had a friend do that years ago with a mach z backing out of his gararge.
It seems to be in direct relation to how thin they are, I myself have no desire to stand up and seem to have a larger surface area than those that do.

depends wether youre joy ridin or playin for me i almost always stand up around here we have alot of hidden stumps an rocks i see everyting alot better

Sue I stand up if I need to look over a snow bank for traffic or something, But actually to just constantly ride that way seems, and looks REALLY WEIRD! Less safe, and less under control, oh well! I've only been riding about 30 years, what do I know?!?

I am almost 50 years old, and couldn't care less what others think about how I look while riding. I would rather not be noticed. However, I stand up when riding off-trail or when the going gets really rough. If you ride off-trail in deep snow at all you will quickly learn why we stand up. It is the best way to control the sled in many situations like side-hilling, carving, jumping, drops, etc. Sitting on the seat usually gets you stuck or rolled in the more advanced off-trail riding conditions. Also, like Mark said it helps to stretch the legs for a bit on long runs.

That said, I think many do it on the trail because they see the snocross and freestyle guys do it on TV. Yes they do look a bit silly on a smooth trail.

By the same token, I get a kick out of folks that sit down while riding off-trail. It is usually only a matter of time before they are stuck, or falling off their sled.

Last edited:
I was trying to help a large group behind ours,, I let the rest of my group go ahead as I knew they would wait at a safe place....... I stayed at a corner in the trail to motion for them to duck for a low limb around the corner,,, any way all five standing got smacked,,,,,, two of them off there sleds,,,,,,, O well had to chuckle a bit......... no serious injuries (lucky) but egos and two shields and one tail light......... enjoy.......

killerklown said:
OK this is driving me nuts! It seems to be a generational thing, and I must have missed it. What's up with you guys who stand up while driving your sled, no matter how fast, or the conditions? I meet guy zipping across baby smooth fields, cornering throught woods, whatever and they're standing up. And I mean straight up. 60% of them seem to have the helmet mohawk, so is trhat part of the stand up driver uniform?
I'm not calling names, bashing or whatever. I just wanna know why?!?!?

Because they made their handlebars too high to be comfortable when sitting down, hah, funny, but pretty true.

I stand up from time to time, usually in the rough stuff or when I have been riding a while and need to stretch (Im 6'3" on a sled designed for a 5'3" guy, lol) generally a nice smooth field is great for stretching the knee/hip joints out.

The girlfreind and I ahve had this same conversation. Her 21 year old son went out with us on a 90 mile ride a couple weeks ago....He stood up the entire time! When terrain/conditions warant it yes I will stand up for a better point of veiw but I dont get the ALL the time rider/stander

I would think it would be awful difficult to negotiate a corner at 80 mph while standing up. I can understand standing up for carving, sidehills, my little hop jumps, big bumps or hill climbing, but I would guess that anyone who's standing up for trail riding or cornering probably also has a monster energy sticker on their hood and tucker hibbert wallpaper on their desktop.

You can add a lot of "suspension" to your sled by standing & using your knees. there are a lot of people who hurt thier backs sitting down & hitting large bumps. Been there, took a few back/kidney shocks on the old proaction. not too often now with the cat skid though.

Wayne084 said:
I would think it would be awful difficult to negotiate a corner at 80 mph while standing up. I can understand standing up for carving, sidehills, my little hop jumps, big bumps or hill climbing, but I would guess that anyone who's standing up for trail riding or cornering probably also has a monster energy sticker on their hood and tucker hibbert wallpaper on their desktop.

you actualy have a lower center of gravity if you are standing just above the seat( about a 1" gap between your seat and butt) and shift your weight to the inside leg. this puts the force on the boards wether then on the seat.

as for standing all the time. my 08 phazer i stood 95% of the time. it was uncomfertable to sit. also every time i sat i rolled it over.
on my rush i find my self sitting most of the time but also stand on whooped out sections or where the trail is windy and tight(so i can see more).

i use to ride a proaction chassie. i use to stand on that 90% of the time. used my legs as suspention. had to run the suspention so stiff to not bottom on the trails around here while i was hammering thru stuff that it would beat me to death if i was sitting.

all and all its a differnt style that may or may not suit your riding area or sled. no need to knock it.

terret725 said:
you actualy have a lower center of gravity if you are standing just above the seat( about a 1" gap between your seat and butt) and shift your weight to the inside leg. this puts the force on the boards wether then on the seat.

Sorry beg to differ,,,,, need to get low and lean,,,,,,,, Want to race through the tight twistys or even an oval track,, you stand, and I'll sit....... I'll even bet on that one..........

Ride the mountains a few times and you'll understand why we stand when we ride. That way you are ready for any terrain you may come upon. I'm 6' 1" with an Apex Mtn. And those already have a big riser on them, but I have an additional 2" rox riser on top of that. When I sit it is a little high.

I will sit down if we are just gonna buzz trail for a little while, but other than that, unless I'm going quite fast 60mph+, I'll be standing. That way I can mess around as I go across the field etc.

I think it's also more comfortable to stand on an Apex right in the front of the running boards, that way you really don't get tossed around like you would on the seat. That makes it a smoother ride.

Alot of the new sled are more comfortable if you are standing. And yes, standing up helps eat up some of the bumps too. I mostly sit when I trail ride, but standing helps my legs, I'm also a tall guy (6'3" & 245lbs). Like everyone has already said, off trail it's the way to ride, sitting gets you stuck or dumped over. Of course I dump over and get stuck no matter what... ;o)

Maybe it's from the motocross style of trail riding? It's best to stand while on a dirt bike and zipping through the woods for many reasons (but I don't think many of those reasons translat to snowmobiles...) Me? The good Lord gave me a comfortable rear end, so I use it!

Now the mohawk; that's easy. That's just plain cool! Where can I get one?

Ride a Ski Doo XP with handlebars set so you can stand without bending over and you will answer your own question. I've been riding Yamaha 2 strokes for many many years. Standing up and bending over is very uncomfortable. I recently moved to an XP and I must say "standing is very comfortable". And "no" I don't do it to look cool or act like a racer. On groomed trails with twisties I sit. When it gets rough, standing is the way to go. Sure, the young guys may do it to look cool, but I for one see a major advantage to being able to stand comfortably.

I think most guys here making fun of those who do it have never had a sled that they could stand comfortably on. I didn't until I bought the XP.

Thanks Zach, I just read both pages and laughed because the guys that dont understand are all riding srx's. :o|

Whammy, Im in on that bet! Pick the trail ;)!

Im not bashing killerklown, but untill you ride a sled designed to allow you to stand, it will be hard to understand!

Back