c'mon what's up???

Now thats funny, captnviper! I will try that today!!!
Just a complete superman, full throttle jumping in the ditch! Maybe a little cape on my helmet.

OK Guys, like I said. I understand standing up at certain points. I grew up since 4 years old on threewheers from 70cc to 250r's, fourwheelers up to the 500cc quadzilla, dirtbikes, motorcycles, and sleds, etc....
Sure I stretch standing for a bit, yes some terrain and situations you are better off standing, or at least a little off the seat in a more aggressive position.
I'm in WI, not the mountains, not talking about off trail. I'm talking about guys who just don't sit down.
I list the SRX because it's my favorite sled, not my only one. I've driven about everything out there for sleds except for the Elite. Sometimes I do feel like the bars are too high, but in those cases the guy had added a 6 inch riser, I suppose because he WANTED to drive standing up...
I'm not bashing I just wanted to see how many other dudes noticed this new phenomenon, and how silly it looks.
ENjoy the rest of your season guys, sitting or not!

Sno-Xr said:
Thanks Zach, I just read both pages and laughed because the guys that dont understand are all riding srx's. :o|

Whammy, Im in on that bet! Pick the trail ;)!

Im not bashing killerklown, but untill you ride a sled designed to allow you to stand, it will be hard to understand!

My money is on ...........Whammy!

When I stand up on the 96 xt I feel like i'm going to do a summersault over the handle bar's.On the other hand I was at a dealership a while ago getting part's and checked out a ski doo renegade,I can see how those could be very comfortable standing up.

killerklown said:
OK this is driving me nuts! It seems to be a generational thing, and I must have missed it. What's up with you guys who stand up while driving your sled, no matter how fast, or the conditions? I meet guy zipping across baby smooth fields, cornering throught woods, whatever and they're standing up. And I mean straight up. 60% of them seem to have the helmet mohawk, so is trhat part of the stand up driver uniform?
I'm not calling names, bashing or whatever. I just wanna know why?!?!?

I think a funnier sight is someone on smooth groomed trail or lake (i.e. not boondocking/powderbusting) on a sitdown style sled (i.e. non-rider foward) without their feet in the footholds.

Or guys at the lake drag racing - hanging onto the bars, feet on the back of the boards with their butt over the over the rear bumper like they're taking a dump.

Or the ditch pickle riders with terets syndrome with the throttle - brap, brap, brap. Seems they can't even load them on the trailer without twitching.

But that's just me.

It's a big sport and room for them all.

To Each Their Own. The Only Time I Sit Is After A Long Day Of Boondockin And My Legs Are Wasted. Agreed That Most Of The People That Dont Agree With Standing Up Dont Ride Sleds Set Up For Standing. Therefore It Is Uncomfortable For Them When They Try It And Maneuvering Their Machine Is Much Harder When Standing Up. When The Bars Are Proper, Standing Up Gives You The Most Leverage And Best Position For Negotiating Terrain.

snomofo said:
Or the ditch pickle riders with terets syndrome with the throttle - brap, brap, brap. Seems they can't even load them on the trailer without twitching.

We have an epidemic of these poor sufferers of this phenomenon here.....

I like to stand up quite a bit, I agree with a lot of what everyone has to say about it. In certain situations you can end up with less control but the majority of the time it just makes it that much easier to throw the sled around.

Now that I have a sled that allows me to stand effortlessly with comfort, I will never sit down when the going gets rough. My back ans a$$ appreciate it. Could care less if someone thinks I look silly.

What I think is funny is how killerklown claims to not be bashing riders styles yet comments like "c'mon what's up?" and "how silly it looks" seem to lean in that direction.

Not trying start something here. People ride the way they want and like to ride. Why even care?

killerklown said:
I meet guy zipping across baby smooth fields and they're standing up. And I mean straight up.

In this case, it's the............LOOK,LOOK AT ME(cause I am in need of some attention) syndrome. Or the(cough,snort,clear the throat)....I'm the man.....disease.
Or mabey it's to let everyone know that he can ride across a baby smooth field and stand up TOOOOOO. I know it surely impresses me.
I should probably feel like less of a man when I see this incredible phenomena.
In a case such as this.......I'm with ya.

To me, so many here are sounding like a bunch of old fogies who sound jealous if anything. This is beginning to sound like a Cat bashing site only dumping on the sledder rather than the sled.

I'm just surprised at how many are jumping on the rider style bash session. Foolish to say the least. Why even care? Get out and ride.

Zachalyse:
I think you're missing the point of this thread. I would be standing in the rough stuff too. I think therre is something to be siad about a proper and safe technique for driving. I see the motocrosser dirtbikers standing up through the moguls, leading into a jump, etc, how often have you followed a motorcycle down the highway where the driver was standing straight as a board upright, through corners, everywhere for 60 miles? That wouold catch my eye if it started happening in my area.
Now for the Politcally Correct crowd, I'm sorry if using the word "silly" was offensive to you.
I guess this thread is headed for the dog-pile?

I guess my point was: Silly looking or not, why is it such a big deal? No different than the guy that trail rides at a slow pace yet maneuvers like he's in WOT race similar to your avatar. Silly yes, but I see no reason to start a thread about it.

This whole thread is what's silly to be. No big deal though. I'll let it rest.

yammy said:
My money is on ...........Whammy!

Perfect, the more people that bet on Whammy, the better my odds are. Kinda like horse racing. Right now I have 2 to 1 odds ;)!

Im not going to try and kid you, I sit as much as I stand, depending on conditions.

As far a as the standing up while cruising across an open field. I often do this for two reasons.
1) I just beat the crap out of myself in the bumpy twisties(sitting and standing) and need to stand to get some air and cool off

2) If I dont know the field, I get a lot better view of the terrian, just incase!

I also stand when following someone when their is alot of snowdust, again it will surprise you how much better vision you have.

So throw on a set of risers and join the club! ;)!

Zachalyse said:
To me, so many here are sounding like a bunch of old fogies who sound jealous if anything. This is beginning to sound like a Cat bashing site only dumping on the sledder rather than the sled.

I'm just surprised at how many are jumping on the rider style bash session. Foolish to say the least. Why even care? Get out and ride.

My SRX was designed to corner like it's on rails on groomed trails. Basic laws of physics dicatate that the closer your hands and feet are to one another, the further off the seat you can hang your arse thus adding weight low and out. Ask left turn racers where they add lead to meet minimum race weight - low and left.

Using Killerclowns's avatar as a giude - if he had ape hangers on his roundyround sled would he be able to get as low or as far out (leverage)? no. If he had his feet at the back of the running boards would he be able to hang out as far? again no.

On the flip side - low bars make it difficult to lift your arse off the seat especially if your feet are in the footwells. Adding height to the bars adds some leverage making it easier, or placing your feet under you also makes it easier but with less control and less distance away from the sled.

IMO it's a trade-off between ease of lifting my arse off the seat in the bumps (high bars) vs. low/weighted leverage (low bars) when cornering. If I rode more off trail or if we had deeper snow depths I'd have a taller riser but I spend more time trail riding so a 1" riser and turned up bars work for me... on my SRX.

The only time you'll see my feet out of the footwells besides powderbusting is in a congested area where the trail is beat to poop traveling at 20-30 mph.

IMO looking like you're pinchin' a loaf at anytime while riding is never a good thing. Plus you will not be in a position to have the control you might need when rubbing against your rival.

I guess you could consider me an old fogie but there really is a method to my madness and I usually do something for a reason.

Your mileage may very... enjoy the ride!

Back