Not to beat a dead horse, but another Reed Stopper Question

Mudrunner

I have a 2001 MM700 with the MPI 159 track kit. I already modded the clutches as per MPI and dropped one tooth on the top gear in the chaincase.

My questions about the Reed stopper mods are:

Is the notch made on the top side of the reed assembly only?

Is it done to all three intakes?

If not interested in the Head gasket mod, would you guys still recommend the silencer bore? I'm just a little leary of making it to loud.

My hesitation on the head gasket is only that I'm to damn cheap to buy premium only fuel. My family goes on extended weekend trips and we fuel our sleds right out of the motorhome's tank. I'd hate to pack around gas cans just for my sled. If only one layer is stripped, can you use mid- grade fuel?
I think I already know the answer there.

I ride trails with the family, but am always in search of the powder and spent 90% of the time doing mid size climbs and boondocking.

Please give some opinions on the best overall set up for my situation.

:rocks:

To answer your questions.

Do the top side stopper only. When you pull out the reed block, look inside the case and you'll see the transfer port that gets blocked by the stopper (look at the top of the intake channel).

You do need to do all 3 cylinders. Same problem on all of them.

Do it now, makes a noticable difference in throttle response.

Exhaust can mod is said to gain 2-4 hp over stock by itself. Go to the tech pages/can mod page to hear a sound clip of the difference in sound, not that much louder than stock. Head gasket mod is said to gain 3-4 depending on number of layers removed. Combined supposed to be 6-8 hp gain.

I understand your concerns about the head gasket mod. I'm facing the same thing. 92 octane fuel is impossible to find here, but 90 is everywhere. I'm leaning toward removing just one layer and using 90 fuel or use regular 87 and adding Octane booster to make up the diff.

Last edited:
Thanks WrdAl-

I'll do the reed stoppers tonight and maybe also the can bore mod. I listened to that sound byte in the tech forum and it seemed acceptable to me. I had a set of tripple pipes on my 97 and they were ungoddly loud. People just cringed when I ran it around them. The performance was awesome though.

If I get a wild hair I may dive into the head gasket mod. I liked your idea of octane addititive. That would be much easier than packing 3-4 gas cans around.

Thanks again for the info- Merry Christmas ;)!

y'ur welcome and have a safe and happy holidays.

If you use the Octane additive here's what I do. Take an empty 5 gal can and put in enough octane boost to treat 5 gals of fuel, then add the fuel. I always fill my sleds from the 5 gal cans. I also usually put fuel Stabilizer in as well since I'm not always sure how long the cans will sit before they're emptied.

Mods to my SX700r for this year: :WayCool:

Exhaust Mod,
Reed Stopper Notch,
dropped the needle jet 1/2 and 1 3/4 turn on pilot screw.
Changed weights to 8AB with 2.7 grams in each hole and 14.5mm rollers
Changed Secondary Spring to 88 Exciter White Spring with a 48/42 Helix.
(Have not done the gasket yet. I just don;t feel comfortable with some of the Gas I get in the middle of the Adirondacks)

In preparation to hit the trails on Monday, I took a little ride up and down the street and I am amazed at the performance increase. I just touch the throttle and the sled tries to come out from under me. The exhaust sound is by far more acceptable than a Can.

Thanks Mr sled for your tips and a great website for Yamaha owners.

Last edited:
daytripper said:
4db's=40% louder. 10db's=100% louder.

not true, decibels aren't linear, they are logarithmic. an increase of 6 db's is twice as loud. I doubt that the can mod is 4 db's louder, probably 2 or 3. I wouldn't be too concerned about the added noise if I were you.

Back