plastic pipes on side of the carbs?

NY_SXR700

Website
www.sohonetworkx.com
So, we are putting everything back together on the SRX. I notice that one of the air pressure tubes is snapped off the side of the clutch side carb. Has anyone ever snapped one of these off. One of the guys thinks he snapped it when cleaning the carbs. Setting it down a bit hard on the side of the rack. Are these plastic fittings pressed in or screwed in? Micro fisch does not show it as a part. Thanks, doug

Wow, this is first on TY for me. Many views and no reply's yet. I am guessing I am going to have to find a 90* plastic fitting from the auto parts or small engine repair shop and just make it work. I know why the tubes are there so as long as I maintain the integrity of what they are there for I should be good. Just seal it up good and be done with it. I just wish I knew if these were pressed in (I am guessing they are) or screwed in. Doug

NY_SXR700 said:
Wow, this is first on TY for me. Many views and no reply's yet. I am guessing I am going to have to find a 90* plastic fitting from the auto parts or small engine repair shop and just make it work. I know why the tubes are there so as long as I maintain the integrity of what they are there for I should be good. Just seal it up good and be done with it. I just wish I knew if these were pressed in (I am guessing they are) or screwed in. Doug

Just can't picture what you're talking about. Are you talking vent tube? If so, the fittings/nipples are typically pressed in.

You are correct. Each carb has 2 fittings, one on each side. They are to equalize out the ATM pressure to the float bowl. All the tubes are plumbed together. Somehow the outside one on the clutch side is snapped off.

I went and took a look at a set i have off. Elbow on none seem to want to move at all. they dont even budge. Tend to beleive they are pressed in. In theory these route over flow toward bottom of motor so I wouldnt think the have any amount of pressure on them :letitsnow :letitsnow :letitsnow

I tried to pull one out and your right they don't want to move at all. I still think they are pressure tubes. I know my Tempa-Flow connects these all together when I installed it. I thought it added/subtracted pressure on the float bowl to regulate the amount of fuel to the main jet. Anyway, I gotta figure out a way for this guy to fix this or his sled will still be in my garage come spring time. Thanks, Doug

NY_SXR700 said:
I tried to pull one out and your right they don't want to move at all. I still think they are pressure tubes. I know my Tempa-Flow connects these all together when I installed it. I thought it added/subtracted pressure on the float bowl to regulate the amount of fuel to the main jet. Anyway, I gotta figure out a way for this guy to fix this or his sled will still be in my garage come spring time. Thanks, Doug

Without Tempra-flow the carbs are calibrated to where the opening of bowl vent tubes are exposed to (i.e. air box or under hood which will each have different pressures at different throttle openings and/or vehicle speeds).

If you can get pliers on them you should be able to twist and pull them out. If there isn't enough "meat" to get a tool on the broken piece, try a sheet metal/wood screw to bite into the broken plastic and pull/pry it out that way.

You could also drill it out... probably by hand.

They are just simple plastic vacuum elbows that the hose just pushes onto, give it a little heat, and should be able to wiggle it out.

How bad is it for the engine if I plug the hole where used to be one of these elbows that snapped off, and plug the line going to it? So just two are connected. Can this cause problems?

I would say yes. I would think you would be better off just leaving it as is. At least that way it can still vent.

Back