yamaha belt question??

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
I have like 5 new belts here.Now tonight I noticed the 2 end numbers are different..WTF!! I have 3 belts new from years back that are 8DN-17641-00 and I have 2 new belts I got last fall that are 8DN-17641-01.The -01 belts are at least 1/4" longer..why is that. No wander today my belt seems lower in secondary and the belt isn't climbing high enough in the primary according to my black marker lines I placed on the sheaves.Normally with the -00 belts new,I don't have to put any shims washers behind the secondary.Now it looks like with the -01 I will have to.Why was the spec changed?I also marked the helix ramps with black marker and the buttons aren't going all the way down either..thus I don't have full shift out at wot..this is a little crazy if you ask me.So I will have to shim for the -01 belts alot more then the other... :dunno:

I have 3 new 17641-01's here.Two are 1/4" longer and the one I ran today is 3/8" longer..yes 3/8". Now I am really getting annoyed here.It may have streteched some..but what the hell is Yamaha doing with these belts? Can't they leave things alone,now they have to go and screw things up.

I thought I read something on here a few months back that the old belt # is superceded to the new number. I thought the compund was different or something to do with the new 4 stroke sleds?

Good job< I just found the same post and was going to paste it here for ya,lol. Yup It looks like a fishy deal to me too. :dunno:

so Yamaha made that new belt for the 4-strokes..well I guess they didn't care much about the 2 strokes anymore and that we have to adjust things for that new belt..should of been some kind of notice given with the new belt that we have tomake adjustments.How many guys will know this.I guess the 4-strokes are more important to them that they had to make a change and forget about all the loyal 2-stroke riders..what garbage..come on Yamaha..leave the old alone,let us still buy the old and the 4-strokers can have their own crap belts...not impressed.

I am not telling you a lie..the newer belts are also longer..that screws things up.How many shims are going to be needed to get that belt to be at proper tension??

bluemonster1 said:
so Yamaha made that new belt for the 4-strokes..well I guess they didn't care much about the 2 strokes anymore and that we have to adjust things for that new belt..should of been some kind of notice given with the new belt that we have tomake adjustments.How many guys will know this.I guess the 4-strokes are more important to them that they had to make a change and forget about all the loyal 2-stroke riders..what garbage..come on Yamaha..leave the old alone,let us still buy the old and the 4-strokers can have their own crap belts...not impressed.

Its like buying car tires. You find a pair that last forever so you want to buy the same kind again and its discontinued. The dang belt was allready in production so why stop it..makes no sense!

8dn-17641-00 top width =34.5mm , thickness=16 mm , outside circ. = 1133 mm bottem width =28 mm

I am gonna to have to play with the 01 belt to get it to sit properly.Will run on stand to see if it flexs to much because of length also...weird it is longer then the 00 belt.. :o| #$%&*

Edit: not the supplier that changed but the process . . .

My understanding is that the supplier changed the manufacturing porcess. The spec was slightly changed to provide smoother engagement. I do believe that the new process has more tolerance in the delivered product. Thus you will find more variance in the -01 belts than we did with the -00 belts. I believe there is a brief note in the '08 Tech Update manual. Again, this is from my sketchy memory.

For myself, I can blow the -01 belts way easier than the -00 belts on the same sleds. I suspect the quality went down as well.

Last edited:
A couple of bucks said:
That good to know. Let's us know when their worn too much.
there worn too much when the spacers are in and the belt sits below the sec sheaves on the triples.

if they blow easier..then they are cheap..imagine the Yamaha dealers here are charging way above $100 for them here..what a rip off Yamaha..not the company they used to be..dissapointing!!!

Back