Found a cool vintage sled

nysrx

Just picked up this all original 71 SS 433. It was just 15 miles from my house. It was listed for sale, but by time I called it was already sold. Then I got a call this morning that the buyer backed out. Last year I was going trying to buy it but the seller backed out. So it was meant to be. Runs like a top. I will have to do something about the extra graffitti and bunny. The extra SS 433 sticker up the hood must of been added by the original owner. I don't think they came that way did they.

Attachments

• dsc02917.jpg
    dsc02917.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 32
  • dsc02912.jpg
    dsc02912.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 30
  • dsc02911.jpg
    dsc02911.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 18
  • dsc02913.jpg
    dsc02913.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 27
  • dsc02914.jpg
    dsc02914.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

I saw that sled on VS. It's a great find!. I'd leave it just the way it is if it was mine,but to each his own. It would look great with my 770 original mile 71 GP396.
Very Nice!!
Look forward to seeing it at the Whiteout next Year??

Mark
aka Markxx800 and 94Max

Ss 433

I am definitly leaving it the way it is. Just not quite sure about the Playboy stuff.This has just over 1800 miles. Track is such good shape it looks like it was just installed. I might bring it to the whiteout just to drive around instead of walking. Definitly hear me coming.

Attachments

• dsc02916.jpg
    dsc02916.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 13
  • dsc02915.jpg
    dsc02915.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thats cool. Like Mark said, I'd leave just the way it is. Even the playboy if it looks like it was done in the 70's. I'd clean it, and not re-paint anything. IMO, It looks to good for 71

Ss 433

Wondering how many of the SS's Yamaha made. Vin # of this one is SS43300556

DAVE GET THAT PLAYBOY CRAP OFF THAT SLED. HEARD OVEN CLEANER WILL REMOVE THAT LETTERING, BUT CAN,T CONFIRM. ALSO I WOULD GET THAT EXTRA STRIPE OFF TO. STOCK LOOK IS WHERE ITS AT. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
DAVE GET THAT PLAYBOY CRAP OFF THAT SLED. HEARD OVEN CLEANER WILL REMOVE THAT LETTERING, BUT CAN,T CONFIRM. ALSO I WOULD GET THAT EXTRA STRIPE OFF TO. STOCK LOOK IS WHERE ITS AT. 3:16 (yammie tony)
completely agree

Dave's place is the great snowmobile museum of the east coast. Everytime I visit him he has some new sleds to show me. I think he buys and sells more selds than any dealership ever. he is a great guy, always willing to help someone.

Ss 433

The cat is 76 El Tigre 4000 with only 670 miles. I ended up with it with some trades.It is a little out of place with all the Yamaha's LOL.

Last edited:
I'm with Tony, clean it up and return it to stock, the playboy stuff and the extra stripe has to go! SS 433 was the first sled I bought with my own money back in the fall of 73.

Running right you need not fear ANY 440 fanner of the same year and for a quite a few years after! Try and find the 71 Scorpion TV ad that shows them comparing the scorp to an arctic can't, ski don't and the SS, you can see clearly the SS runs away on all and towards the end the Yamaha is oddly missing! Too funny, I can attest first hand to Scorpions false advertising, my SS spanked those things BAD! Enjoy. G.

I would look for a clean stock SS hood that doesn't need paint or decals. That way you can put whatever hood you want on it and hang the other on the wall if it's not on the sled. You can get the playboy stuff off, but if its paint form the 70's, you still may see where it's been if the light hits the hood right (I had the same problem with a 76 Z). You still see playboy, just in white out line. If that happens to really get it off, you need to DA, paint hood, decals and not sure thats the way to go with that hood.

Bad part is you won't know how clean it will look until you to far into it to turn back

SS 433 Decals

I'm in the graphics business and have created a full set of graphics for this machine including the muffler statue law warning decal. (Photo of mine attached)

If you go to restore this machine let me know and I can bring some down decals to either Boonville New York or the Great Eastern Whiteout next winter. (free of charge... all I would ask is first right to purchase the sled should you go to sell it! I'm looking for another one to take on vintage rides as I wrecked my original one when I was 16 racing my father on his 76 TNT RV and would hate for something to happen to my restored one as parts were to hard to find)

I grew up on an SS433 from the time I was 5 years old and is one of two sleds that I will never part with. Mine vin ends in 492.

Take care.

Attachments

• P1000017(1).JPG
    P1000017(1).JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ss-433_before.jpg
    ss-433_before.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4
  • ss433_after.jpg
    ss433_after.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 3

Back