1997 piped Vmax4 vs. 1996 TCat

bluerocket said:
they never had exhaust valves

I guess I was wrong on that one. I was thinking they did but I looked up the 2002 specs and they didn't from what I could see. I must have been thinking of the late year ZRT's.

If the vmax with psi quads lot to an apex there is definitely something wrong with the sled. 800 with psi quads make 173hp, apex makes 150hp.

yamahaha said:
If the vmax with psi quads lot to an apex there is definitely something wrong with the sled. 800 with psi quads make 173hp, apex makes 150hp.

The Attak has good torque and his has a Cobra 136" track so it really hooks hard off the line and through the midrange. The Attak beat the TCat too that day. I believe it has an Ulmer clutch kit in it also.

If that 97 Vmax 4 has the stock long travel rear skid it isn't going to hook up like the 92 to 96 years did without a little help.

Last edited:
I have both a V-max 4 with quad pipes and Yammiegod clutching and I just bought a 2001 Thundercat 1000 with Psi pipes. The V-max 4 does not have a chance against a tuned Thundercat. 98 was the first year for the 1000 Thundercat and are supposed to be the fastest year. I still love my Yamahas but bought this Thundercat to play around on. I had a bunch of fast Yamahas over the years, but the THundercat is crazy. Jeff Wurl

JEFF HAVE YOU RACED THESE TWO AGAINST EACH OTHER ? I AGREE THUNDERCATS ARE HARD TO BEAT. i have raced many over the years. big motor!! 3:16 (yammie tony)

Back