opinions needed late 80s early 90s phazers/exciters

fuzznutz

I am planning on buying 3 sleds in the near future, I have an 89 Exciter and am wondering about the pros and cons of each sled. I've heard phazers sip fuel and I've learned that exciters are a bit thirsty. Phazers have reeds and are fan cooled, exciters have no reeds and are liquid etc etc. I know many parts are interchangeable like suspension wheels, bearings, body parts, clutches and so on. Please feel free to add your input, it would be appreciated.

I love my Phazer! (87) it is light and spunky. It will carry the skis for half a city block. It is light enough that two people can pick it up and walk with it. I can go places that the newer sleds are just too big to go! The speedo can hit 100mph on a good day with the wind at my back.
The down sides are: it is really narrow, very tippy. The track isn't very good and a better track is not available. Front and rear suspension both are not very good. It gets about half the mpg of my 600 pound triple!!!
It has a psi pipe, 600 v-max carbs, over bored, trail ported, cold air kit, fish bones to keep the weak running boards from folding down and launch pads.

8vo fan said:
I love my Phazer! (87) it is light and spunky. It will carry the skis for half a city block. It is light enough that two people can pick it up and walk with it. I can go places that the newer sleds are just too big to go! The speedo can hit 100mph on a good day with the wind at my back.
The down sides are: it is really narrow, very tippy. The track isn't very good and a better track is not available. Front and rear suspension both are not very good. It gets about half the mpg of my 600 pound triple!!!
It has a psi pipe, 600 v-max carbs, over bored, trail ported, cold air kit, fish bones to keep the weak running boards from folding down and launch pads.
oh yeah..my 1990 has port and polished running a bender pipe with struts and handle bars off a 93 sx...lol, I love mine too.

Thanks, I just wanted some opinions. I ended up buying 1 Exciter and 3 late 80s srvs instead. Grew pretty fond of the SRV, lots of power, 1 carb to clean and easy to find cheap and cheap parts. Tracks are easy to find too. From what I've heard they are very reliable sleds, I found nice sleds for 500 or less, can't beat that with a stick. Will likely sell the Exciter and find 1 more SRV.

Back