93 exciter now running awesome

re:SX

Was running a little slower in the warmer weather it was about 32F when i did these speed runs down the field but it was getting a little slimey out and i put er away. It is fast I rode a MXZ 700 and i think the SX would take it, its pulls like a racebike.

You should have run the MXZ700. I think you would be a little surprised. I really don't think you would have had a chance against him. You are giving up about 30hp, and they prob weigh about the same. The Mxz might even be a little lighter.

MachZ1000 said:
You should have run the MXZ700. I think you would be a little surprised. I really don't think you would have had a chance against him. You are giving up about 30hp, and they prob weigh about the same. The Mxz might even be a little lighter.

Just let him have his pride buddy.

re:MXZ

Were talking a 600ft drag race here, not a lake race. In a Drag the SX scared me from about 0-60mph, I tunned my uncles MXZ 700 to see what it will do but is just a dog on the bottom and its piped and i redid the clutches, 140PSI each cylinder but wasnt impressed. For highspeed cruising it was fun but in a drag I think the SX wins.

haha

You guys with the new stuff dont like to hear how the old stuff can hang but I had a v-max 540 that people thought was fast because all my buddies have nice new sleds but the SX is nuts. The SX weighs 485 with gas and coolant in it with a 100hp stock you put PSI duals on it and it puts them at 110HP. Every 7 lbs gives up a horsepower and the MXZ was alot heavier. Both are very nice sleds even though its a skidoo.

the sx is 92 hp stock. Get a newer button style primary and it will realy run even better. I have owned two of them, my last one would beat my buds 600sdi of the line and on top end. I sold it this year, hated to do it, but I got a realy nice piped 700sx to replace it.

Sx

Just a Yamaha button style clutch?? Or aftermarket?? Not sure what all will fit on i was more then satisfied with the stock set up it was blowing coolant out of the resevior i filled it half way up maybe it was just blowing out , could the thermostat be malfunctioning?

ok

Ill give you guys an honest run, ill tune the MXZ up for next year and redo the clutches and make sure its tight and running and run the SX with my dad which is 160lbs and my buddy thats about 161. I think the SX will take it by two lengths.

If the SX takes it that is the worst running MXZ 700 of all time. You would be better off comparing your sled to an MXZ 583. The 583s only have around 102 hp and that is about 10 more than you have. In this article the Exciter SX runs a little faster than the old Vmax's and about the same as a 521 formula plus. And this Exciter has a Bender pipe on it.

http://www.excitersx.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=267

Last edited:
MACHZ1000, THE EXCITER SX WAS YAMAHA,s ANSWER TO THE FORMULA PLUS X. NOT THE STANDARD FORMULA. YAMAHA WORKED WITH TIM BENDER IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS MOTOR. THE PLUS X WAS STILL A TUFF NUT TO BEAT, A STANDARD FORMULA WOULD HAVE NO CHANCE AGAINST A EXCITER SX. SORRY!!!! 3:16 (yammie tony)

new vs. old

Just because companies such as yamaha , skidoo , polaris and other market to consumers that they need a new sled every year or every couple to maximize profit margins doesnt mean newer is always better. Ive riden numerous sleds and have had numerous race bikes such as a CR 500 which weigh about 240lbs and kick out about 70HP. As I prevoiusly stated I havent rode alot of sleds that come out of the hole like this one the MXZ 700 was really nice to ride in a straight line but that was it.. Mind you your article your referring to was one SX Ive had a v-max 540 for 3 years that i love and have a really bias opinion on its performance but the exciter is nuts in 600feet and i dont have the clutches dialed in. Im aware that you probably have a skidoo as do I, but im just callin it like i see it. My exciter was freshly redone with 8Ay00 pistons and proper gaskets and adjustments that i dont think most SX owners know about and neither did I until being informed by all of the great people on this site and excitersx.com . Not to mention i would have probably never got my v-max 540 running if it werent for the guys at vintagevmax.com. Im actually looking at getting a new long distance trial sled theres some newer skidoos here for real cheap i was thinking of getting one. I heard of a guy getting a new REV 700 for $1500 but it had a bad crank. Id like a new Yami but they are damn expensive.

Back