The end of 2 stroke Yamaha's is here !!!

Automed

I was at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday and saw they just got more 2004 Vipers in, unbelievably priced at $7999.00CDN ($6472.00US) !!!

I asked the sales manager what was up with the extremely low pricing and where the sleds came from. This is where it gets interesting...

Allegedly Yamaha Canada came and begged him to take on more sled so Yamaha could liquidate all of it's viper / Venom inventory in preparation for the 2006 lineup. That would mean NO MORE TWO STROKES FOR 2006 from Yamaha! Also he told me that they took on some extra RX-1 and were selling them at $8599.00CDN (6958.00US) Apparently they are liquidating all non-current RX-1 in preparation for a new chassis design to be released in 2006 also.

Now none of this info except the pricing I can verify to be 100% true.

But I still do have tears in my eye about Yamaha dropping it's two stroke sleds.

:(

I say good riddance...smokey bastards!! :).

There's no 2-strokes left anyways...except maybe the mountain viper..but the venom is nothing to write home about...

Why would wanting to liquidate all non-current inventory eliminate the possibility of a new 2 stroke. What it means to me is that they are preparing to launch new product that will make the current 2 strokes so far from the new technology to be considered hopelessly obsolete, so clear them now before any info. is leaked on the new product. If it was a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke issue why deeply discount RX-1s?

I think that would be a big mistake! I love the sound, and lightweight power of A two stroke! How many 4-stokes do you see in snowcross? Heavy bastards! your gonna save alot of weight with a 2-stroke mill, power to weight ratios of the motors themselves are huge. They have made the weight differences look small by adding more lightweight components to the four stroke sleds. I would guess the motors are about twice as heavy. :4STroke: :ORC :beer: I'm with you viperS, do some pray'in!

When do you ever see a yamaha in snowcross.. The end of 2 strokes are near because of enviromental issues. many desinations have already banned 2 stroke snowmobiles. My guess is that they come out with a 2 or 3 cyclinder 700 next year in 2006. i am guessing a twin though.. they are changing the rx-1 to be lighter and a different chassie to save weight and different design. Thats the word from A local dealership in manitoba.

Last edited:
My point was they eliminated any "real" 2-stroke this year...why cry over the Venom and the Bravo...Look at the bike world if you want to see where the industry is headed. Four-strokes rule everything..and if they don't rule they're gaining huge strides. The power to cc thing doesn't matter at all. Who cares if it's a 1000cc or a 700 as long as it goes like hell.

Why would they clear out all the RX-1s??? Think about that. Who's gonna want it after the "new one" comes out....food for thought..

4-strokes growing in leaps and bounds is debatable doc, AMA is talking of banning the yzf450, southern california in particular because of noise pollution issues, but at the same time they where considering dropping the 250 2-strokes in the premiere class, looks like the 2-strokes have been saved by southern california!! whodda thought!

and the 2-strokes aren't jsut sitting back and taking it either, have you seen the dyno numbers for the new machZ? holy f*ck is all I can say about that dyno curve, if you don't have a copy pm me an email addy and I'll fire you one.

i do have to say that i was one of the biggest skeptics of a 4-stroke yami, untill we brought home the vector! it is really an amazing sled. i won't part with my viper just yet, but i tell you what, that vector feels alot more powerful and handles ten times better. i know i will get flamed for this, but they are on the right track with the four strokes! (not saying i wouldn't like to see a 1000cc 2-stroke come out for a final debut, but give the 4-strokes the credit they deserve!)

i ran a 4 stroke last year and it does have some big pluses and big minuses, fuel burned in a winter season is hardly noticable,Do you see motor's blowing up? no .Do they have tonnes of power? yes. All the problem is, is weight,once that is resolved WOW, my but will be back on one fast,there is no more 2 strokes in yamahas line, the viper will be the last 2 stroke ever produced for sled be yamaha

Last edited:
they may stop making the two strokes, but i think they will still be the favorite of lake racers... yes the rx-1s can get some quick times and high speeds, but for how much $ 8-10k for new rx-1 and 4-5 k for the turbo kits. i have no gripe against 4-strokes but tuning 2-stokes is sooooo much cheaper, and most of the time you can do all the work yourself on 2-strokes, where as you have to go school to work on the new 4-strokes. maybe i'm a minority here but i would much rather tear down my SRX than a new rx-1....but regardless no matter where yamaha goes i'll be sticking with them..

I'm with you yamaddiction. If I can't tear a motor down and rebuild/mod it, I don't want it. That's half of the fun for me. And I can't afford a turbo. Even if I could, I can do alot to an SRX for 5 grand. I don't bash the RX-1 because I know there's alot of people who love them, and to each their own, but I will jump brands before I own one. No mater how much the 4-stroke guys say this is the direction to go, there are a whole lot of Yamaha riders who feel the same as me, that fact is undisputable. I would also like to say that the only reason that 4-strokes are competative in motocross and quad racing is that they have a cc advantage in the rules. Of coarse a 450 will beat a 250. No mater how much lighter they make the RX-1, thats weight the 2-strokes could drop also. Imagine how light an SRX would be with all that development.

u-guys are probably right, it's just hard to teach this old dog new tricks I guess. Been around two strokes to long, and I hate to see them go! I still think they sound better! guess I'll have to ;):D myself to happiness!

You know what would be cool?....

You know what i would like to see yamaha do, id like to see them build a 440 snowcross sled. I know they have the potential.

I would be sad to see the Mountain Viper go. Put on a set of pipes, and it runs strongly with the other brand's bigger cc machines. Out west I think it's important for Yammie to still provide us with a 2-4 stroke choice. Where weight is a bigger factor.

as far the snow cross sled they should look at using the R6 street bike motor, kinda lik ethe the rx-1 was based on the R1 :WayCool: just my opinion.. of course they need to find a way to deal with the weight issue of the 4-strokes :yam:

2 stroke sleds make up a fraction of the air pollution. Look at the millons of cars in the larger citys; have you guys out there ever watched the news as they show pictures of like NYC, etc........smog all over!!! Common sense only says, deal with it where the big problems are and it would reduce air pollution.....stop going after us littte people that are trying to only have a good time from work. :ORC

you have a pretty good point but..... automobiles are seen as "necesary" for everyday day life, as opposed to sleds for example are only "toys" not necesary at all, and it's way cheaper to make snowmobiles cleaner than it is to make cars cleaner.. but on the other hand inustry put out ALOT of extra pollution that could be regulated too, which they are doing i'm sure... Either way switching to all 4-strokes sucks if you ask me, i love 2-strokes cheap power and sound better than those 4-stokes, but i love my R6

It's the end of an era boys! personally I would like yamaha to go out with A bang. I think they are foolish not to go all out on A special model, knowing full well that they will switch to four strokes in A year or two. Kinda like the old musle car era when they had bigger and bigger motors evey year. I would be the first one to buy a yami 900-1000 tripple, tripple piped! OH YEA! based on the SRX motor, that would turn 8700-9000 rpm, and crank out an unimaginable amount of power, thats my dream sled, 4-shrue. I betcha they would out sell the rx-1. Yamaha is the undisputable champion of two stroke engine design, thats why I own one. Smooth, crisp, reliable, eveyone who rides one, wants the motor. Maybe not the suspension, but the motor for shure! My friend told me that his polaris 700 was as smooth and responsive as my 700, he said they really had it nailed down. Till he actually rode mine, then it was another story. Now all he talks about is how well a polaris rides. I think it would be money well spent if yamaha quit building a new motor every year, and put more R&D into their suspensions. The only reason most people won't jump brands is the ride quality. nuf said. go with the flow :4STroke:

Back