95 Mountain Max as trail sled?

Excitabletom

I am considering a 1995 Vamx 600 twin Mountain Max as my sled for trail riding in lower Michigan. I have never had a long track and have a few questions.

"Smart Carbs." I understand these are to compensate for altitude, but how do they work and are they any good?

4000 miles on a stock 1.5 Yamaha track, no studs. How will this hook-up on trails? Will I want a few studs? Will this track tear-up the trails as I ride?

I think this is a 136 inch track? Will this steer hard on icy trails?

Any expereince with the 94-96 Mountain Max 600?

Thank you!

ExcitableTom (perhaps soon to be VmaxTom)

i would ditch the smart carbs and throw a set from another 600cc yamy twin as when they mess up, they go bad bigtime. just jet for your area as per yamaha specs.

that will hook up really well on everything but ice. should be ok on the trails but you will want scratchers for low snow conditions or hard pack.

it will push a bit in the corners compared to your sx but a carbide/ski change will fix that.

it will be harder on gas and oil than the sx 700 in your profile but it is a good dependable sled.

hopefully chadg will see this as he runs a 600 twin as does daman.

My dad runs a SXVenture with a 136 on it. This past summer he threw a 96 stud kit (which on a 136" is like 104 or something). He also runs a dual carbide, this was the first year he was within 5 minutes of me riding trails (5 mins of me waiting at stop signs). He loves this new set up though!
As for mpg you may be in trouble our back up sled is a 600 twin and the sled gets about 1 tank of fuel to my 5/8 to 3/4 of a tank. But if you get the suspension and handling dialed in it could be real fun.

Back