quick belt question

madzx2

this may be common sence but it a belt suppose to be centered in the primary clutch when the sled isnt running or when its idling? my belt has always been just barley touching the engine side sheave. that sheave is also my hottest of all.

i also noticed today when i was trying to figure out my offest that my secondary wobbles when it spins. the clutch side bearing does have some play in it. ill post a video link, could my jackshaft be bent?

I dont think the shaft is bent, it seems my Viper always had a little variation/wobble to it. I could take it off and measure the width outside of sheave to outside of sheave and get different measurements around the perimiter of the secondary.
As far as alignment, seems my belt is always touching the motorside of the Primary also. But I will let the clutch guys weigh in on that.

at least in my opinion, that is far too much wobble! I have to imagine that isn't the smoothest to ride, thats going to induce some vibration at speed.

As far as resting on the primary, there should be some freeplay in the movement of the secondary. It should pretty much be self centering. If not, you may have to add/subtract spacers behind the secondary to move it a little.

smokingcrater said:
at least in my opinion, that is far too much wobble! I have to imagine that isn't the smoothest to ride, thats going to induce some vibration at speed.

As far as resting on the primary, there should be some freeplay in the movement of the secondary. It should pretty much be self centering. If not, you may have to add/subtract spacers behind the secondary to move it a little.

it is pretty smooth riding. my secondary has no freeplay side to side on the jackshaft. i use an external belt adjuster. i added shims on the backside of the clutch to center the belt in the primary but then my offset isnt right when i check it with the tool.

If your jackshaft is bent it will vibrate at speed. You will feel it in your left foot.

i guess i never really payed attention when i was riding it. the trails are closed and the snow is disapearing so i guess itll have to wait for this fall.

but my main concern is the belt being centered in the primary at idle or when its not running.

Back