ANOTHER storage question

blk04700

what is everyone using to spray down under the hood and the skid to prevent rusting while being stored all summer ?? wd-40 ?? pb blaster ?? i heard to use fogging oil for that also ?? wd-40 just seems to evaporate after sitting for awhile.

blk04700 said:
what is everyone using to spray down under the hood and the skid to prevent rusting while being stored all summer ?? wd-40 ?? pb blaster ?? i heard to use fogging oil for that also ?? wd-40 just seems to evaporate after sitting for awhile.

I've been using silicone spray on everything for over 10 years. My '01 Yamaha owner's guide recommends the same for storage.

IMO - WD40 doesn't stay as well as silicone spray.

I scanned a copy of the 7 step storage process that came as a suppliment to my owner's guide. PM me your e-mail address if interested.

Started using a new to me product last year, called Fluid Film.

Fluid Film stops existing rust on contact. It prevents rust on all metals, lubricates moving parts for extended periods of time, keeps mud and dirt from sticking to metals, and is an excellent chain lube for offroad vehicles and on heim joints.

Fluid Film protects battery terminals for at least a year and will not harm paint, plastic or rubbers.

And no I am not a paid sponsor. It is just plain sweet stuff.

I always coat anything I don't want to rust with WD 40.

Where do you get this fluid film stuff? I might have to give it a try. My problem with WD 40 is that dirt and mud stick to it.

I actually got a free sample of it off of another website, used it and left me wanting more. Both John Deere and Caterpillar use Fluid Film as an OEM coating to coat machinery during shipment. They will sit top deck on ocean freighters for up to 90 days in full exposure to salt air / salt water. When they get them where they want them they just pressure wash the material off. It is a lanolin based product (woolwax) that has no solvents in its formulation to evaporate. It outlasts the competition because it doesn't dry out and is classified as non-toxic and non-hazardous.

Fluid Film is sold nationally through John Deere under part number ty22032 or you could check out the fluidfilmsaleusa website to order it, the website is where I have ordered from as I don't have a local JD dealership close, and amazon has it for sale also. Can buy it in spray cans or bulk pails to use in a sprayer.

Here is a 'test' case scenario that I found on youtube, kind of cheezy, but I believe they are representing the product appropriately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEvlPsGvRA&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Fluid film is widely used to coat snowplows. It really helps the snow roll off the blade while keeping rust at bay. You can get it by the gallon, just do a search online for it. I believe it comes from New England somewhere, but may be wrong. I use it on a lot of things and feel that it lasts better than silicone spray on things exposed to the elements. Silicone spray works great for underhood too.

Back