engine running backwards

Stephfg

hi guys,

I thought I'd share this and maybe find out if this has ever happened to anyone else before. Also, maybe the timing and ignition gurus can help explain it.

My brother in law's 99 T-Cat was acting up this weekend on the trail so he unplugged the main harness to troubleshoot (it was the kill switch). When he started the sled, the engine was running backwards. He gave it gas and it backed up! He turned it off and it was back to normal when he started it up again. No, he doesn't have a mechanical reverse. I know this is how Bombardier's reverse works, but I believe the timing is adjusted to make it happen.

Had I not been there, I would have found it difficult to believe.

how did he start it?

the recoil only allows to pull it over in one direction... if it were electric start, and the battery were hooked up backwards the starter motor would try to start it with reverse rotation , however, I think the starter drive/bendix would not cooperate..

which brings me back to, how did he start it? tj

I have an old 1976 Yamaha 400 IT. It died at an intersection and I kinda half assed kicked it. Started but sounded funny, so I reved it and let out the clutch OMFG! Sure glad a car was not behind me....the engine kicked back when I let off kick starter and started backwards.

So yeah, they can certainly start backwards.

I had the same deal on my 84 CR500.Had bought it as a basket case and fixed it up.First time out with a couple buddies and stop for a breather on the trail.Fired it back up and wanted to be out front so I wasn't eating dust with my retro open face helmet.Reved her up,dumped the clutch and the b***h shot backwards,Iwent over the bars and split my lip open and bloodied my nose on the front fender.I think both my pals wet themselves.Replaced CD's,pickup coils,stators you name it but was still doing it.Finally put the whole ignition from a 2000 CR250.Ran like stink after that.Forwards.

thats crazy!!! ive personally never seen it in person but have heard of an old yamaha 2 stroke trike starting in reverse

a 2 stroke doesnt care what direction the crank turns, it will run either way. its the ign. timing that makes it run in reverse. it can happen to any 2 stroke, bad cdi or incorect p/u coil location.

stingray719 said:
I have an old 1976 Yamaha 400 IT. It died at an intersection and I kinda half assed kicked it. Started but sounded funny, so I reved it and let out the clutch OMFG! Sure glad a car was not behind me....the engine kicked back when I let off kick starter and started backwards.

So yeah, they can certainly start backwards.

I had one of those I sold back to a riding bud that sold it to me after it broke his foot when the kick starter kicked back. I went through two starter gears when I had it and didn't dare start it without riding boots.

I understand the 360s were even worse.

snomofo, I also had a 360mx back in the day and yes those were evil to start. Steve Mqueen broke his ankle or foot making that racing movie back in the 70's on a 360 yamaha.

I wold rather start my Shovelhead Harley than that IT 400....lol

A friend of mine owns an 800 rev that he can't keep recoils on. He keeps a strap with him that he wraps around the clutch to start it when the recoil is broke. TWICE he wrapped the strap the wrong way! The first time he went head first over the hood, into the snow in front of the sled! We about died laughing!!! The second time he just got a bruised hip from the handle bars. I now wonder if he has a timing issue and that is why it won't hold a recoil.

Back