Vmax - What years have the same body style

ldickie

I just bought what was advertised as a 1999 Vmax XTC 700... however, when looking up parts online, in 1999, there is no option for Vmax XTC. The only option is VMAX 700, ER and SXB.
So I choose 1998 - there I get the option for VMAX XTC (as well as XT, XTCD and XTCP). But mine is a 99. I'm confused.

SO, my quest for parts changed to curiosity. What exactly do I have?

What other models/years share the same body styles as mine?

Looking for parts for my sled would be a lot easier if I knew what years are the same body style for Vmax.

I've tried to search the forums and other places online, and just haven't found a definitive answer.

So if anyone knows... please share a link or list etc...

Thanks,

they are all the same body style jus the 00-02 have different cdi stator an coils that i have noticed i owned a 98 xtc until i wrecked it an bought an 01 sxr an the coils cdi an stator are different everything else is the same cept for bars an whatever updated parts

Last edited:
The "body style" of an XTC was used for many years, starting in 1997 and at least until 2003. The model name of XTC may only have been used in 97 and 98, so I'll take a 50/50 shot that yours is a 98.

There should be a sticker on the tunnel below the seat or gas tank, RH/recoil side, that has a "mfg date". An example is 10/98, which would be Oct of 1998, thus a 1999 model year snowmobile. If your sticker shows a date of XX/97, then yours would be a 1998 model year. I recently went to look at an XTC advertised for sale as a 1999 model year and I was skeptical about the year, turns out the sled was a 1998.

Somewhere I've seen a listing that shows the range of VIN numbers used year by year. Might have been Yamaha's site, or here on TY, or somewhere else, maybe try a search. I believe the VIN's from this era of Yamaha snowmobiles can tell you the year with the first 3 digits (I'm going from memory here and I'm not where I can verify on a sled right now), but as an example I believe all 1999 SRX's start out with 8DN followed by a numerical sequence.

Hope this helps

the vin number stamped on the right side of the tunnel just below where the seat meets the tank is the only way to verify model and year. the number stamped on the motor can verify as well, if no one has messed with it.

some models used the same three starting numbers and the next 4 digits after will verify year. for instance, as mentioned, the 99 srx 700 used the 8DN, as did the 98. 98 used a 000, 99 started at 006.

i have a vin list if you want to know for sure.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'll check for the mfg dates tonight. I think it's probably 'registered' as a 99, but manufactured in 98. But we'll see.

Regardless, I'm happy with the purchase, I just need a few parts and wanted to know what other years of parts will fit on it.

I have posted a 'wanted' ad for a few of the parts I need.

Thanks for all your help.

Back