top end rpm's?

mack7

I am wondering what kind of top end rpm I should be looking for on my 2001 sxr 700. I have a dynoport can with 1 layer off the headgasket and reed stopper notch, 51/43 helix with whatever rivets Turk recomended to me. Other than that it is stock with 3900 miles, right now it runs right at 8800-8900 and I was just wondering if this is good or if I need to lower them somehow. Thanks for any help guys!

You gotta lower rpm,s to about 85-8600 rpm. A few things to check 1st....an old belt will increase rpm,s....a short centre to centre will increase rpms....a real cold day will increase rpm,s. Make sure you clutched to 00-01 specs & not the 97-99 specs, way different clutch set ups. Should have a 4.5 gram inner & outer rivet with 16 mm(stock) rollers.

How do I check center to center, I have about 800 miles on this belt, which is oem yamaha. I ran it yesterday and it was about 18 degrees f so I dont know if that would cause the higher rpms.

Well I went out today and ripped up and down the road and never went above 8600 so I guess I will just keep an eye on it. It is a little bit warmer out maybe 25 degrees so maybe it was a temperature thing. Thanks Turk.

turk i have a 00 sxr maxx perf clutch kit on my 98 sx think it will work ok? i havent been able to ride yet. it has a green white green primary spring, 7pto helix dont know angles and the weights that came in the kit for the 00-01 sxr

You can,t use the primary spring from the 00 on the 98. It is made for a long cover clutch & will coil bind in the 98. The 00 uses 16mm rollers the 98 uses 14.5. That means it will engage very low & underrev on the low end. I would try bolting in the helix & then i can help fine tune from there.GWG primary spring was stock on 00 700 sx-r.

alright i have the helix on right now but i still have to get the jetting done then i should be good. want me to PM you when i get it going? and dont put the primary spring on. what about the weights?

Back