stator removel

suprastrokin

alright guys this is a noob question. so i have a 99 mm 700 tripple that i got from a buddy. at one time it was a mod sled until the motor blew up. now i have it i put a stock motor in that ran good i heard it. got it too start but had a real crazy spark. so i took it to a shop. they told me it needed stator and coils. my buddy put a brand new stator in last season. the shop said the wiring harness is bad it was melted in a bunch of areas that is what is causing the stator and coils to go out. so i got a new wiring harness hooked it all up and now it dont have any spark. so anyways back to the question where is the stator at on those sleds? or if anyone has an idea let me know thanks. oh yeah i put new coils on to

The stator is located under the recoil starter housing;remove the bolts holding the recoil on the engine then you will see a cup affair held on with 3 allen head bolts.Take them out and the next thing to take off is a large nut ( 26 or 28 mm I think ) on the end of the crank next to the flywheel which also has to come off but you will need a flywheel puller for that task.If you are doing this yourself be aware when you thread the 3 bolts into the flywheel not to thread them in TOO far as they will contact the stator and undoubtedly scar it up.The stator is held on with 3 phillips head bolts,at least mine is on my SRX,yours should be the same.
I'm not sure if the V Max is the same as the SRX but if it is you will most likely have to take a frame brace off too to allow access to everything although I've read where guys have done this without taking it off.It is held on with something like 6 or 7 bolts and the brace runs from the brake caliper to the front bulkhead area.
Hope this helps.

99 mm 700 is a red head correct? I may be wrong but I dont think a flywheel puller is needed for project. When I pulled red head apart from a 2000 sx700r (red head) I didnt need puller.

You need some sort of puller! I usually just use a standard 3 post slotted harmonic balancer puller. You will need some 8mm bolts that are a few inched long and an assortment of washers. Sometimes a little heat from a torch is required. They can get stuck on there good on some of the older motors.

As someone staed above, DO NOT THREAD THE THREE BOLTS INTO THE STATOR TOO FAR. IF YOU DO YOU WILL DESTROY THE STATOR!!! Thread them in about 1/4" maximum. Guess how I know that?? Yes, I destroyed a perfectly good stator, the bolts caught two wires on the stator and cut them.

$162 for a new stator!!!!!

Back