SM292 track drive shaft removal

bigreis

VIP Lifetime Member
The drive cogs on my SM292 disintegrated this winter and I have been struggling to remove the drive shaft so that I can replace them. There are large nuts on both ends of the shaft (one end also has a slot in the shaft). I have tried everything I can think of to break the nuts loose, but I am not having any luck. I am guessing an impact wrench would do the trick, but I really don't want to drill holes in the belly pan so that I can get at them! Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy, don't touch the chaincase side. The drive shaft will slide right out without touching it. On the right side find a 1/2inch drive socket that fits the nut. Get your self a piece if 1/2" Hot rolled or Cold rolled Square bar. Cut a piece about 1 to 1 and a 1/2inch long. Get a good quality 12-16 cresent wrench. 16inch is better. Stick the 1/2 square bar in the socket and put the cresent wrench on the square bar. You may also need a piece of pipe over the end of the cresent wrench at help with leverage.
You'll also need to put a pipe wrench on the drive axle to hold it as the brake won't hold it.
It helps to have a extra helper to take a pry bar and put pressure against the 1/2 Square bar so the socket doesn't slip off the nut.
Good luck!

Mark

Thanks for the reply! So after the nut comes off, how do you get the shaft out if it is still connected on the chaincase side?

after you get the nut off ,take the bearing holder out of the chassis. You'll have a big hole in the chassis then and will be able to pull the drive shaft to the right and pull it out of the chaincase. The left side of the drive shaft is splined. The spline goes into the piece that has the big nut on it

If you think you did something in the chaincase while
you were playing , remove the 4 bolts that hold it to tunnel
while the axle is out...if this sled has a brake down low, it
will interfere with one bolt ....don't use a ratcheting box
wrench,,,got mine trapped ...until you get the others out
or remove brake disk..
and if you loosen the track enough,remove front bogies you can push it tight up into the tunnel and pull it out as
previously descibed ...bit tuffer sticking the new one
Ron

Back