Cylinder repair??

Netefrog

BUMMER. I have the top end of my srx tore down to send my cylinders out for porting and on the mag cyl below where the rings would sit at the lowest position there is a tiny chunk of nicasil missing maybe 1/8 size of my pinky finger nail. My question now is where is the best place to have this fixed? I see all the advertisments in the magazines and whatnot but I'm looking for feed back from personal experience.

tip: get it ported first then have it renicked. This way the new nicasil gets a good overspray/flash inside the port edges and makes for a very durable cylinder.

Millenium does first class work, they do all my stuff.

I just bought an SRX cylinder from Millenium using their exchange program. The cylinder from Millenium looks terrific, very nice job. I plan on using them for replating and cylinder exchanges in the future. Very fast service also!!

I sent a pair in a few years back to Millenium, and I was VERY DISAPPOINTED! Both cylinders had pitting on the entire cylinder wall. Look very cheap. I called to complain, and they claimed it was OK. NOT HAPPY< WON"T GO BACK...

mrviper700 said:
tip: get it ported first then have it renicked. This way the new nicasil gets a good overspray/flash inside the port edges and makes for a very durable cylinder.

Millenium does first class work, they do all my stuff.

X2 They do all my work also first class place and they do great work.

killerklown said:
I sent a pair in a few years back to Millenium, and I was VERY DISAPPOINTED! Both cylinders had pitting on the entire cylinder wall. Look very cheap. I called to complain, and they claimed it was OK. NOT HAPPY< WON"T GO BACK...
I know what your saying. I did a cylinder through an exchange program and didn't like all of the inclusions(pits) and opted for another cylinder that didn't have as many. The claim for the small pits is that they will hold oil for lubrication and that you wont lose any compression... I would rather have a completely non pitted bore to remove any worries.

On another note, when I went to the snow show here in Novi last year a representative from U.S. Chrome made a statement about the Millenium guys. He stated that Millenium was spun off by previous employees of U.S. Chrome, don't know how true..

Go with U S chrome, I had Millenium and the nickasil flaked off with only a few hrs. run time, didn't stand behind it either, and yes they are a run off of US Chrome.

On average I get about 20-25 cylinders done every season thru Millenium, the only times I get any porosity are with the older cylinders. I know its the casting quality of the original... because I myself have run the boring bar down thru the cylinders and can see the quality of the cast. The older early 440 srx's, exciters,vmax 540 engines were the worst. You can weld up the spots and rebore it and new ones(porosity spots) appear, its the quality of the yamaha casting, not milleniums fault.
Todays newer castings are much, much better, where they can control porosity in the aluminum during the casting process. Technology in this area has greatly improved. The newer 90's sx,srx600/700. 700 vipers dont have the issues. When I bore the 600,700 cylinders out for 780 kits, they are good clean castings with no porosity. I have NEVER gotten a sx,srx,viper cylinder back with porosity, maybe I am just lucky. :dunno:

cylinders that need just replated with no deep gouges that need welded up and rebored to correct size are cheaper to get done then if they need welding,boring to resize them.

mrviper700 said:
snip The older early 440 srx's, exciters,vmax 540 engines were the worst. You can weld up the spots and rebore it and new ones(porosity spots) appear, its the quality of the yamaha casting, not milleniums fault.
snip

Seems to me if I sent one of the above to have plated and wasn't told of the possibility of porosity during boring - and received a cylinder that was plated over the porosity it'd darn sure be they're fault. Perhaps a disclaimer over the phone before the customer sends it in.

Something like - "Our experience suggests during the boring process we may uncover porocity that isn't easily repaired. If we find any we will call you with options". In other words, lay it out before hand what issues may arise.

Of course before they know which cylinders are prone to such issues they wouldn't be able to tell the customer before receiving the cylinder but it still wouldn't excuse replating a porous cylinder.

Sounds like something my first Polaris dealer would have done... if he was still in business.

IMO.

I bought an SRX 700 cylinder from Millenium 3 weeks ago. They charged $235 plus shipping for the cylinder exchange. There was a $100 core charge which was promptly refunded as soon as they rec'd the core from me.

snomofo said:
mrviper700 said:
snip The older early 440 srx's, exciters,vmax 540 engines were the worst. You can weld up the spots and rebore it and new ones(porosity spots) appear, its the quality of the yamaha casting, not milleniums fault.
snip

Seems to me if I sent one of the above to have plated and wasn't told of the possibility of porosity during boring - and received a cylinder that was plated over the porosity it'd darn sure be they're fault. Perhaps a disclaimer over the phone before the customer sends it in.

Something like - "Our experience suggests during the boring process we may uncover porocity that isn't easily repaired. If we find any we will call you with options". In other words, lay it out before hand what issues may arise.

Of course before they know which cylinders are prone to such issues they wouldn't be able to tell the customer before receiving the cylinder but it still wouldn't excuse replating a porous cylinder.

Sounds like something my first Polaris dealer would have done... if he was still in business.

IMO.

The disclaimers are on paper for you guys who always want to debate the process and make snips, they also list it on thier website so its not a suprise. The old castings were prone to porosity but again, its the rather poor quality of the early yamaha castings and it will have these spots no matter if millenium does them or u.s. chrome or anybody else. Best thing for a guy like you is to purchase brand new yamaha cylinders since only they will meet your standards.

i have had millenium do numerous cylinder repairs for me and i'm always happy. never had a bad dealing yet. cost depends on the damage of the cylinder. a simple replate on my yfz450 cylinder was $200. cost to repair my cracked srx 780 cylinder was somewhere around $345! i will continue to do business w/them and w/them only 30min away from me, its convient for me to just go there.

I learned this way back in the early 90's when we ran vmax 540's, the old castings are full of porosity and they cause no problems infact I still have a vintage vmax and I am shipping a pair of vmax 540 cylinders to millennium tomorrow and I know when I get them back they will have it, but like I said it causes no problems and is not there fault.

Back