2001 MM primary

norwegian

My friend bought a 2001 MM, (or I was there for him because he was at work). That sled had been in an accident and the dealer (polaris) had replaced the belly pan,left trailing arm etc etc. I noticed that the primary had some scratch marks on it, probably when the trailing arm and bellypan hit the primary.. there is a 2mm "groove", round one on the primary, indicating that something touched it while it was still spinning, and there are some marks going inwards on the outer cap (which holds the compression spring in place). There are no marks on the sheaves themselves whatso ever, I checked that my self. The dealer also mentioned that the spider had some minor marks on it. I've seen the primary run at idle, I cannot see it wobbling or anything, it runs smooth. When riding, I don't feel any vibrations and the sled goes waaaaay better than .. lets say a 98 vt 700.
The polaris dealer also ran this sled this easter with no problems, after the sled had been straightened out from the accident.

My friend called me the other day and said that when he took the primary up and down there was an ever so slight freeplay, he could not tell if this was from the primary or from the crank itself (sledtech newbie like me). What are we up against here?
Crank waiting to fail or toasted bushings in primary?

I had the exact samething happen to me about 2 years ago. Big groove in the primary frorm the trailing arm. I polished everything up and saw no cracks but my first ride after the repairs the primary disintegrated at 3:00am.

Back