Flywheel counter weight on MXZ

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I'm trying to find out what kind of adhesive is used to bond the counter weight to the flywheel on Doo sleds,specifically an 01 800 MXZ.I was helping my bud this spring trying to sort out a lack of fire issue with his sled and we come to the conclusion that when the recoil flew apart AGAIN!!!! that the grease went in and coated the mag not allowing it to function properly.But when we were pulling the flywheel off a couple of bolts didn't get threaded in far enough and consequently ended up pulling on the outer counter weight instead of the flywheel and as a result it is now separated.It appears that some kind of an adhesive is used but what could we use to bond these parts back together?

you don't need any adhesive in there. what you found was that whoever put the engine together, used loctite on the 3 counter weight screws (which isn't a bad idea), but they had alot on there and when threading the bolt in, the excess loctite was running down between the counter weight and flywheel, and then after its torqued down and then torn apart later on down the road, the counter weight does stick on there and people think that it needs to be glued on. follow me??

Yeah I follow you,to my knowledge the engine has only been apart once before when it was recalled for rings I believe but I have no idea if the flywheel was pulled or not so it may very well have been factory loctite we were pulling against.The only reason I figured there was an adhesive used for the counter weight is that it looks like there is some on the flywheel but I also kind of figured once the bolts were put back in that there would be no need for any thing to stick the counter weight on.

Back