95 vmax 500 TORS??

88 yamaha 570

ok i just bought a real clean 95 vmax 500 with 3200 miles, guy said it needed rings and didn't run, i looked at it today and i seen what i now think to be the TORS sensor holding the throttle open about half way and it wouldn't run, the sensor part was towards the top and the spring was on the throttle piece, i took out the sensor and it ran fine, looks like they had already bypassed the TORS. i would like to use this because its a nice feature, can anyone tell me how to hook this up the correct way possibly with pics because im having a hard time finding them. and if anyone has tips on the rings i would appreciate it, i found a piston kit with rings for both sides for 50 dollars, top end gaskets for 45, and ive done piston and rings on my old 88 exciter 570. are they easier on this sled?

WHEN THE TORS IS ACTIVATED LIKE IN YOUR CASE, MOST OF THE TIME THE SYSTEM IS PICKING UP A STUCK THROTTLE POSITION. ANOTHER WORDS LIKE STUCK OPEN. IF YA WANT TO USE THIS, YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOUR CABLES ARE ADJUSTED PERFECT. AS FARR AS PISTONS AND RINGS, ONLY DONE ONE WaY, THROUGH THEM IN. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
WHEN THE TORS IS ACTIVATED LIKE IN YOUR CASE, MOST OF THE TIME THE SYSTEM IS PICKING UP A STUCK THROTTLE POSITION. ANOTHER WORDS LIKE STUCK OPEN. IF YA WANT TO USE THIS, YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOUR CABLES ARE ADJUSTED PERFECT. AS FARR AS PISTONS AND RINGS, ONLY DONE ONE WaY, THROUGH THEM IN. 3:16 (yammie tony)

ya i did some research and seen that... mine was installed upside down, which is another reason i got the sled so cheap, the guy couldn't get it to start lol... i reinstalled the TORS the correct way and adjusted the idle, with even one cylinder it runs pretty good but i hooked the TORS up and it didn't get turned on at all so that's a good thing, is there a way to get the rev limiter to kick in to test to see if it will work when in the trail? and is there a reason only one side compression would go down? im about to do a compression test to see what exactly its at. i have a feeling the rings being bad on the clutch side are due to the bypass of the TORS system...

88 yamaha 570 said:
just did a compression test... 115 on PTO side? and 20 on clutch side? would bad rings really cause it to be that bad?

I would say no. Only a hole in the piston would make it that bad. Only one way to find out. Tear it down.

super1c said:
I would say no. Only a hole in the piston would make it that bad. Only one way to find out. Tear it down.

that's what i was thinking. the guy had a set of br8es plugs or however its said, the hotter ones used in the spare tools plastic thing, it now has brand new br9's but im about to tear it down, ill post pics of my finds XD

SDC12136.jpg

this is what i found...

THAT HAS 100% NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR TORS SYSTEM. THAT IS FROM TODAYS CRAP GAS. TAKE IT APART BUD. PISTON RINGS AND GASKETS. I HOPE YOUR JUG IS OK. 3:16 (yammie tony)

88 yamaha 570 said:
just did a compression test... 115 on PTO side? and 20 on clutch side? would bad rings really cause it to be that bad?
THATS THE SAME SIDE YOU POSTED HERE. PTO IS CLUTCH SIDE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

oh i forgot pto was clutch, whats the other side? and i was worried the TORS light had came on, the guy by passed it and this happened, he had the carbs cleaned November 2010, i seen the receipt, im just wondering if i should tear the carbs down, clean them, and re adjust them because i don't want this to happen again if this had happened after the carbs got cleaned and the guy messed them up...

Edit: the jug is ok, far better than my 88 exciter i had two years ago, my buddy blew the piston to shreds, destroyed the head, and the jug just got honed and was fine... same should be for this... have you heard anything about these jugs not being able to be honed? i seen it in a forum once

OTHER SIDE IS CALLED MAG. THATS THE SIDE YOUR ELECTRICS ARE ON, (stator). JUST RUN BEST PREMIUM FUEL YOU CAN FIND. IT WON,T HURT TO CHECK CARBS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

OTHER SIDE IS CALLED MAG. THATS THE SIDE YOUR ELECTRICS ARE ON, (stator). JUST RUN BEST PREMIUM FUEL YOU CAN FIND. IT WON,T HURT TO CHECK CARBS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

ok do you know somewhere with explanation on cleaning this specific carb? i have not worked on these kinds and am not sure where all the different jets and screws are and do not know the adjustments for the screws and or jets...

YOU MIGHT NEED TO FIND A SERVICE MANUAL FOR THIS SLED. 3:16 (yammie tony)
oh ya, i ordered one the other day on ebay, a pdf format one with like 375 pages for 8 dollars... does that seem about correct?

Back