02 SRX Clutching Suggestions

musselman

I'm looking for some suggestions on clutching my 02 srx. I will be doing mostly trail riding with lake running and some deep snow. Everything Listed below are things that I do not want to change. I am open to suggestions for primary weights and spring and also what sec helix to choose and what spring, thanks.

Track: 144" 1.5 lug
Gearing: 23/38
Drivers: 8T
secondary: Roller rooster with 47/39 or 39/35 helix

For all around riding with deep snow stay wit the stock weights.The 8bu and 89a10 weights work well in the srx for lake ridind nd groom trail but sacrifice some backshift which is fine in hard pack but if you say you ride in deep snow you will have some boging problems riding off trail.Stick with stock weights.Run a 52-44 orin that rage if you want more out of the hole.If you ride alot of deep snow I would recommend oing up to a green or silver sec spring to keep from shifting out to fast and sucking the beldt down.

Your gearing is way off. 23/38 is stock, that is for a 0,92 inch track that is 121 long. I would try more like a 21/40 gearing for your sled. With your current gearing, the clutches will never fully shift out because the resistance is way to great. Gearing down will not only give your sled a longer belt life, but it will also have more bottom end power as well as higher top speed, as the clutches do reach their full potential.

Sorry, didn't notice that. Stock is 9 tooth drivers? Can you calculate what gearing that is equal to with 9 tooth drivers?

the 38 gear is like 35 or 36 with the 8 tooth. you r a little geared up.Norwegian is right need too gear down a little.i think thats a 70 lenk you can go w/ (22~39)=1.77 ratio.the 23-38-=1.65 ratio.that 144 track :o| needs a little help.thats were i would start.good luck ;)! :letitsnow

% of change between 8t and 9t is right around 1.13. if you multiply the 9t ratio by 1.13, you will end up close to what the 8t will be.

for example: 38/23=1.65 x 1.13=1.86. 1.86:1 would be the ratio for 8t.

as mentioned, i would recommend gearing more towards a 2:1 ratio.

I ran 23/42 in my 780 with 8's and a 144 x2. Worked awesome for how I used the sled, but I was a deep snow/off trail, then trail usage pattern and it seldom spent anytime on the lake although it would make a river run on occasion. I've still got all of it sitting on the shelf if you want to give it a whirl.

turk had a good set up using the 8DN-20's that i used on my 155 tracked srx. worked fairly well with my 20/42 gearing and 2.86p drivers. the 8BU's are another good choice. i am close to dialing in the heelclickers, too bad you dont ride a bit more altitude.

780srxgeorge said:
the 38 gear is like 35 or 36 with the 8 tooth. you r a little geared up.Norwegian is right need too gear down a little.i think thats a 70 lenk you can go w/ (22~39)=1.77 ratio.the 23-38-=1.65 ratio.that 144 track :o| needs a little help.thats were i would start.good luck ;)! :letitsnow

You have it backwards.8t drivers is like gearing down compared to te stock 9 t drivers

Thanks for all the suggestions, this is great ;)! . I'm thinking I want to keep my gearing fairly tall still just going by how my 700 sx performed with 23/39 with 8 tooth drivers and a 144" track. The srx has a lot more power so I thought it should be geared a little taller.

There are also a lot of lakes where I ride so I don't want to hit top speed at 100 mph or less.

So I'm thinking of trying the stock weights with the 39/35 helix on the roller rooster with a green spring. Unless there is a better way to go for weights for just an all around trail riding/ lake running setup. I'm open to any suggestions, this is my first srx so I don't know too much about it yet.

I was just looking at the clutch and jetting page and it seems like I should go with the steeper helix. Is the 47/39 going to be too steep for a stock engine?

with a roller theat might be a little bit to much for powder riding.Roller secondaries shift out faster thats why you have to run smaller angles vs a button clutch

Well there isn't going to be very much powder riding, we're lucky if we get 2 feet of powder to play it, and usually the only place is the lake. I ran that helix on my sx for years when it was 121", switched to the shallower helix when I went 144". I guess I can try them both when the snow comes around.

Will I need to change the rivets in my stock weights or will they be close enough to try out first?

pro116 said:
You have it backwards.8t drivers is like gearing down compared to te stock 9 t drivers
i thougt the diameter of 8t being smaller changed the gearing up. OOO i see now you are right sorry. i thougt was helping.i will leave it to the pros :beer: I geuss i will leave my sled w/ 38-23 w/ 8t for the 136 -1.50 this winter see how it does THANKS

I have 2000 SRX with a Cat 144 1.5 inch. Weights 8DN-20 with 4.5g rivets each hole with a 6mm washer peened under the outer rivet(adds about 0.8) . Blue Pink Blue primary spring. Straight 45 degree helix with a Yamaha pink secondary spring. 70 -80 degrees twist depending on the day. 23/40 gearing 9T drivers. Pulls hard on trail. Works well off trail, excellent back shift. Tried a 50/44 Dalton. Worked okay on trail. Good hole shot but needed a Yamaha white secondary. RPM would start to climb on the top, after about 125kph.Spring was too stiff. Helix too much for deep snow. Tried a staight 47 with white secondary. Awesome on the trail on cold day. Not so good with warmer temps even with e twist tightened. Off trail sucked. Poor performance and slipped the belt, excessive heat.

WNR18 said:
I have 2000 SRX with a Cat 144 1.5 inch. Weights 8DN-20 with 4.5g rivets each hole with a 6mm washer peened under the outer rivet(adds about 0. . Blue Pink Blue primary spring. Straight 45 degree helix with a Yamaha pink secondary spring. 70 -80 degrees twist depending on the day. 23/40 gearing 9T drivers. Pulls hard on trail. Works well off trail, excellent back shift. Tried a 50/44 Dalton. Worked okay on trail. Good hole shot but needed a Yamaha white secondary. RPM would start to climb on the top, after about 125kph.Spring was too stiff. Helix too much for deep snow. Tried a staight 47 with white secondary. Awesome on the trail on cold day. Not so good with warmer temps even with e twist tightened. Off trail sucked. Poor performance and slipped the belt, excessive heat.
I believe those 8DN-20 weights are stock on my 02, your setup seems close to what mine will be. I will try with stock rivets in stock weights first then if I need more I will go with what you did.

What class are you going to run that viper in? Stock/modded? I can't see a stock viper being competetive in the 700 class, sorry. Or am I missing something?

Back