Over revving

srxz

Finally got a bit of a ride on the 01 srx and the trouble I had with the secondary not backshifting last year has seemed to have gone away and the power valve that pulled through has been replaced and sled has awsome power. However the tach is showing 8900 rpm and I know this is too high. If the belt is too loose would this cause an over rev or the primary spring may be sacked out. Where do I start?

If the springs are sacked it would underrev. Overrevs after proper rpm,s are usually caused by
1 centre to centre being too short
2 the belt is old
3 secondary bushing binding
3 primary spring coil binding

Loosen the secondary spring 10 or 20 degrees to see if that lowers the rpm. Put a new belt on it like Turk recommends. With all the problems you said you had with it last year, your clutching could be way off.

Thanks guys. I will start with a new belt and and try the wrap on the sec. spring and go from there. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help guys, this clutch issue is finally over. Tried a new belt and checked the center to center, no change. Wrapped spring to 70 and back to where we were last year, no backshift! So I took clutch to advant-edge and the good people there say I have aftermarket buttons that some dealer sold me. Never really thought this would be the trouble but the plastic pieces of sh$@# were deformed and cracked after only 500 k. Stick with the genuine Yamaha parts, they are graphite. Buttons looked fine but after put the proper ones in this sled rocks again, I could not believe how hard it will pull, especially after the rain we had and the traction is unbelievable. I am happy with it now. Let it snow!!!

Back