Bringing a 97 V-MAX 700SX back to life

Yet a little more progress over the holiday weekend as I had one day to spend in the shed.
I got the exhaust stripped and repainted with some nice flat black high heat paint.

I also reinstalled the drive axle, speedo, chain case and brake then removed the reeds and cleaned them before reinstalling them with new gaskets. Slowly but surely, she'll be ripping before the snow flies! ;)!

Shes running and sounds better than ever! I'm running stock settings for now and a little rich at 2 turns out on the fuel screw just to break the new rings in properly. I need new springs for the exhaust as they are weak and don't hold well causing a little exhaust leak.

Heres a video of it idling for the first time. She's pretty smokey due to the oil I used while installing the new rings and seals.
I still need to clean and install the clutches and keeping burping the coolant system but so far no leaks or bad signs.

Youtube video

Nice job man! Sounds great! Those SX's have a nice raw sound to them. Now all we need is some snow around here. :letitsnow

Thanks, I do have 5" around the house here but the ground is so soft I'll be ripping up grass. I still may take one rip around the yard, its tough to sit and wait.

Last edited:
great job... i like the storys of a neglected sled get takin into good hands and made into a new machine

Only a couple of inches of snow on the ground but I had to try it just once. It was a blast! I forgot how snappy a good 2 stroke was after riding my old RX-1 for 3 years. :2strokes:

Now we need a LOT more snow!

Attachments

• First ride-sml.jpg
    First ride-sml.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 29

Back