Pine pitch/possible scratches

TDH784

I have a 2004 Viper ER (black) and I have been kicking around the idea of selling it. With that, I have been going through and cleaning everything thoroughly. When I was cleaning the hood and windshield I noticed what appeared to be pine pitch on them. No matter what I did, I could not get these blemishes to remove. I cannot feel any residue where the spots are (maybe 3 or 4 small spots on the hood and what looks like scratches on the top of the windshield). The sled has always been stored inside (since I have owned it -3 years). Has anyone had a problem like this, and if so, do you have any idea's on how to remove this? Unfortunately it appears to me that they are permanent blemishes, but I am hoping I am wrong.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

i had an auto detail shop for half my adult life. pine pitch is nasty. left on long enough it will eat right through a clear coat. if you just have a ring where it was you have to wetsand it with 1500 or 2000 grit wetpaper and buff it out

bacon grease does a nice job removing pitch and leaves a temporary shine. downside is it can make you hungry a bit while using it. sometimes its a BLT crave, sometimes bacon and eggs.

seriously, the stuff works wonder on pitch and wont harm the finish.

butter also works with pitch and creasolt (spelling) another tip while we are on the subject, to blacken tires without the grease, sugar and water scrubbed on.

The best buffing compound I have ever used is ..........your gonna sh!t when ya hear it..........flour & water. Just mix it up into whatever consistency your happy with and GO TO TOWN. Probably cost ya all of .50 cents to do the hood......if even that.
And clean up is great also. A bucket of HOT soapy water. The hot water kinda melts away the hardened leftover flour/water mixture.
Use whatever kind of flour ya have in the house. Regular cheap 'ol flour is the best. It's a super fine/super soft compound that's just barely abrasive enough to remove most imperfections.
In comparing this to....say............steel wool, 00 being the coursest and 0000 being fine....this flour/water combo is 0000.

Thank you for the replies. I will try these ideas/options out. I am leaning heavily towards the bacon grease option...of which I can usually find as bacon is one of my four food groups (and will most likely lead to my early demise).

Back