Need a little throttle to start

SX700RNY

On My first ride after doing several mods, I have one issue that seems like there should be an easy fix.

For the engine to start up, I need to give it a little throttle when I pull start the sled.

2000 yamaha SX700r

Mods that I just did to the engine:

Exhaust Mod (Hole in Can), Reed Stoppers Notch, 1- 3/4 turn on Pilot Screw, and dropped the needle jet one shim from 3 to 2.5

Any help is appreciated.

If you are talking about a warm machine. I have noticed that with my vmax 700 deluxe with electric start I have to give it a tiny bit of throttle just about everytime when warm. I believe it is normal with Yamaha's.

It's because your at 1 3/4 on the fuel screw (2 turns or more it runs fine). It's no big deal, with the same mods you have I was running at 1 1/8 at 300 - 2000' and I always had to gas it to get it started without the choke. You also had to make sure you let it warm up just right or you would trash a plug if you started it cold and your buddy gassed it. Doug

NY SXR700, I do run my pilot screws at 1 3/4. But I have no problems fouling plugs. What happens if you adjust your pilot screws to much? Soc

If you screw them in to far your too lean and you get a lean bog, out too far and they could fall out (3 turns or more). You can't really hurt your sled with that adjustment. I guess if you ride all day at 1/8 throttle it might get a bit hot if you were super lean on the screws. You would get a lean bog before you got to that point. The Yamaha sx motor likes fuel under load so your 1 3/4 setting is fine. Did you keep the stock pilots and air jets? What mains are you running and what elevation are you at. Doug

Ny Sxr700

I ride at 300'-1500'. Stock pilots and air jets, 142.5 across, needles 2.5 , reed spacers, 1 layer HG, single pipe w/bender can. Soc

Thanks for the responses. I will get used to giving a little throttle then.

Before I did all the mods, it always started with no throttle after it was warm. Doesn't matter as long as it starts.

Thanks

Chuck

I know I am little late but mine does this too. When hot or warm after a run then a short break. Electric start likes a burp of the throttle after it fires. I use my forearm or left hand on it while I am cranking.

When it's cold it needs 1/2 or full choke and really likes to crank. Good thing it is electric start.

Of course I fouled out the pto spark plug a few weeks ago after pulling it off the trailer and buzzing around the truck. Went to refire and it was running on just the mag plug. No biggy but it sure was rich.

Back