GPS Maps with "Routing"

pitz0022

We've been researching GPS maps for a couple days. It seems the Garmin Maps from GPSSledMaps.com have "Routing". Anybody used this? Is it similar to Turn by Turn on the streets? We're mostly interested in MN maps. I used the free maps last year, but considering buying them this year to get the POI's, roads and Towns.

I used Lowrance last year but if I'm going to buy the maps, I'm thinking maybe I should switch to a Garmin unit as well if it offers Turn by Turn.

I've got a Nuvi 250 and have not seen maps for the various districts in southern Ontario. I know that OFSC has an app for Android but are SELLING it. A nearve at the price for trail passes. I don't have data and most likely there will not be service in many area's the trails go. Many dead and weak areas off the main roads.

Anyone know of any districts with a Nuvi map

I paid the $100 and the ontario maps and they work great. Turn by turn directions and all the roads as well.

I picked up a Garmin and bought the maps Super1C mentioned for MN and WI. I haven't used them yet but they look pretty nice just playing with them. Hopefully they work as well for you guys north of the border.

I bought a Garmin nuvi 500 im still deciding between the Gps sled/redpine or vvmaping. I didnt see that vvmaping did maps from ontario. Im leaning to vvmaping for the mi trails. What did you think of those maps Pitz? Chris

I got the Gpssledmaps ones. I used the free ones last year for MN on my lowrance unit I found them extremely accurate for the trails I rode. The only thing I didn't like is that they didn't have POIs or towns so I had to keep a paper map handy as well. I bought the maps this year and have not made a decision yet. One of the bars we frequent for lunch which is right or the trail isn't on it so I'm a bit skeptical. I also don't know if the turn by turn will work well either. If we really get 6" within 2 hours of Minneapolis tomorrow, I'll try it out on Sunday and report back.

Got to user three GPS today.turn by turn seemed to work very well.I have no complaints right now. We only rose marked trails for a few miles though.

I just re-read my post... I should mention that I wrote that from my phone and swype filled in some words for me. I really wasn't drunk.

Our snow will be gone by Thursday, but it was nice to get out and test the new sled.

The one thing I still need to prove with the GPS routing is the algorithms. I assume Redpine uses the same route calculation algorithms for the trails as are used for the roads, but we weren't able to go on enough trails to see how well it routed us. It did a nice job of telling you how far till your next turn and things like that.

Clubs could provide GPS maps of their trails to their member who support them via the OFSC purchases. These maps are most useful at nigth and foul weather when you can get turned around in some area's. I recall returning on a lake after lake route from a drive into another area I did not normal venture into. I started back home along the same route when it started to snow and it was coming down in big flakes hanging in the air and it was either a white out or like one. I could barely see the shoreline I used for naviagtion and the hundreds of tracks were being covered up. I rarely go by track since they could lead anywhere and you end up total turned around. I was luck and picked my way home hitting the landmarks I remembered on route earlier.

I don't do long runs on lakes anymore. If I do go on a lake at night is has to be on a well packed path at least 200ft wide well traveled and I know exactly where I am with no guess work. Thinking I know isn't good enough because one year I followed a track leading to a portage between lakes one night and it was the right direction and all but about 20ft too far to the right. It headed right over open water!!! I hate when people run over open water in the day time and some poor sod thinks its a good trail at night and goes in. Anyway by the time I see the black waterit in my lights its too late and just hit the gas enough to make the other side getting flung over with the machine on top of me. I had my wife as well and she injured her elbow and never rode a sled after that. Anytime I mentioned sledding to her she'd literally give me the elbow. I cursed the A---hole who did that. That is the biggest problem with riding at night other than on a well estblished trail and marked. Visibility for hazzards is one thing to keep a sharp eye out for but lake trails can take you into a rocks at shore, a tree etc largely because of the turkeys who escaped thankgiving driving where they shouldn't leaving well made trails someone follows later at night.

A GPS would help when long distance vision is impared.

Last edited:
I have an update on my mapping software. There may be ways to correct the issues, but I found a few issues. If you are navigating to a destination and the trail you are on deviates by more than, let's just say 100', it displays a message that says "Route cannot be calculated" and it cancels navigation, so when you are back to where the GPS thinks the trail is it doesn't continue with navigation. Also, I think when you find a POI, it gives you a distance. I think that distance is straight line, not distance by trail. I also had one instance where I was at an intersection .4 miles from the gas station I was trying to get to but instead of taking the trail that went almost directly there, and the trail was shown on the GPS, it routed me down another trail which would have added nearly 3 miles.

It is still a nice tool and has it's place, but it isn't a replacement for a paper map and shouldn't be relied upon as your primary source of direction..

Back