1987 Phazer AAEN pipe and performance help

knight_phazer491

i have an 87 phazer. its already been bored over to 491cc and has a comet 102 clutch i believe. i bought it this way. im considering putting on the AAEN quiet can pipe and am wondering what exactly i would need to do so that it stays reliable? i live in southern lower michigan and mainly ride the backroads. i could really use some advice on the following: rejetting? would it help to upgrade my reeds? clutching? Are there any other mods that would help like cold air intake or anything else? im not looking to go completely crazy with it just make it a little more of a performer. any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

With the mods that have been done, there is a good chance other things have been done to the engine, possibly ported, different reeds, compression changed, etc. The pipe needs to be matched with the engine mods for best performance. Same is true for the clutch settings. The wrong combination of changes can cause a loss of power instead of a gain.

You will have to set the jetting according to plug color or piston wash and any changes to the engine will require the jetting and clutching to be rechecked/reset.

A pipe and reeds are two good changes for more power. A cold air intake is a good help because the underhood temps get very high on the early Phazers. You may have to fabricate something because it will be hard to find a cold air package. A simple and effective way is to run without the side panels.

Doing some research here will show you what others have done.

Back