Speedometer joint broke

norwegian

Onmy friends 2001 MM the speedometer joint that goes into the driveshaft? (the shaft that rotates the track) is broke inside of it and one can't get it out by hand anyways.. how do we get it out?

Is it the little piece of spring steel you are talking about? This is the part that comes off the 90 degree connector that goes to the speedo sensor..... If it is, mine broke off insode last year. I had to take the clutch off so i could get in there. A small magnetic screwdriver was able to get the broken piece off.

I messed with one of those sons of a bitchs for a long time last year trying to get it out. I tried usings a drill and an easy out. Finally I just punched it in futher. I don't know how far in its hollow or how much you have let in there but mine went in far engugh to put the new one in. Make sure the bearing is not bad, when that key breaks its one of the signs of a bad bearing or a frozen speedo cable. JW

Hmm sounds like a job for a true mechanic... I don't want to ruin his sled..

ok, so now that we know its the key, I was able to get mine out by using wd-40 and the magnetic screw driver. I also tapped around the area with a mallet, it just kinda worked its way out. The spring steel was about 2 bucks i think. There is a certian way you MUST put it in That part spins counter clockwise, the pin is just a little spring, but it "unfolds" when pressure is turned against it. You MUSt put it in sothat it opens up when the clutch is engaged. My dealer had to mark it for me so I didnt screw up twice.... I'm not sure if pushing it all the way in would be good, I'm just not sure if the piece will drop out or will it get caught up inthe chainhouse.... I'm not sure, but thats just my thoughts......

Back