how do you properly adjust chain tension

Rambunctious

how do you properly adjsut chain tension.

i replaced my23t gearwith 22. kept stock (70?)chainon 2000 srx

when tightenting chain using wrench and cover off case, I could quite easily create a LOT of tension on that chain. i backed off a little ( 1/2 turn from quite tight by wrench)

chain seems to hum/buzz quite noticeably.

so , how tight should it be, finger tight, or torque to a spec, or tight then back off xxx turn.....

don't want to smoke a chain or my new gear

thanks

Ramb

Finger tight is the correct answer. Tighten it too much & it makes a loud buzzing noise.

yep.. thanks for your help Dave

the gals in our mailroom lost the envelope...sent it to the wrong department.
6 days later i got it. what a nightmare that deal was.
they even locked it in their desk once they found it. and of course i missed them by 15 minutes... and had to wait another day....
lock it up???? it sat in the wrong inbox for almost a week !!!!(arrrg)

anyway. the gear helped me beat my buddy on the road, but he still gets me in the shortdrag..... i thing i am pretty happy as it sits though.... unless I geta new track...hmmmmmmmmmm :)

Ramb

I finger tighten with a pair of work gloves to prevent slippage. Unfortunately the last time I adjusted the chain I forgot to tighten the lock nut and ended up with a surprise on my last outing.

chain tensioner

With the SRX, its a bear to adjust that tension adjuster even with one pipe removed as I witnessed this week. I hope I tightened that nut enough???

Still looking for a better wrench -tool to tighten that nut without removing all 3 pipes.

Mark

Back