transfer rod ?

360miller

Im putting on my transfer rods and wanted to know how to get the wheels off where the trans rods mount ???? My skid is out and nothing will budge what is the trick???

what I have done in the past was to use some kind of puller to put some tension on the wheel. THen tap it off with a punch and hammer. But be careful with the puller to much tension you can bend or break the wheels. That's just how I have done it there could be other ways that I don't know about.

find yourself a sacrificial bolt(one that wont be reused, like from the hardware store) that fits the threads on that shaft, 10mm i think.

once you have the factory bolts out of the shaft, thread in the new bolt till it bottoms out and smack it with a hammer(bolt head only). this will drive the shaft out of the wheel on one side only, the other wheel will stay on the shaft as it comes through.

pay attention to the washer orientation, theres two per side and are different sizes.

snowdad4 said:
find yourself a sacrificial bolt(one that wont be reused, like from the hardware store) that fits the threads on that shaft, 10mm i think.

once you have the factory bolts out of the shaft, thread in the new bolt till it bottoms out and smack it with a hammer(bolt head only). this will drive the shaft out of the wheel on one side only, the other wheel will stay on the shaft as it comes through.

pay attention to the washer orientation, theres two per side and are different sizes.
this sounds helpfull i will give it a try

works every time. the downside is it only releases the one side. this allows for the changing or removal of the transfer rods. if you need the other wheel off, you will have to take it to the press.

snowdad4 said:
works every time. the downside is it only releases the one side. this allows for the changing or removal of the transfer rods. if you need the other wheel off, you will have to take it to the press.
yep that worked thanks alot!!! now i just have to deal with my wife cause i had my boy (hes 3) with me and put on his good coat and now its covered in greese #$%&* :o|

the banging method works but easier way is to remove the c clip behind the wheel and tap wheel off..then take a 3 arm puller and pull bearing off..slide shaft thru the other side.

bluemonster1 said:
the banging method works but easier way is to remove the c clip behind the wheel and tap wheel off..then take a 3 arm puller and pull bearing off..slide shaft thru the other side.

x2

I have only taken one set apart yet but that is the way I did it and it worked like a charm.

Back