Installing Ovation e start

jackone

I am looking at installing e start on the kids ovation. Looks like the case where the starter goes would have to be drilled. It has the screw holes there but no place for the starter nose to go through to the fly wheel. Easy to drill? or is case specific for e start? The thing starts so easy but the kids want e start. I have the e start from a donor sled harness and flywheel complete. No sled to look at for verification. Need some advice. Thanks

I've done this before on ET engines. It's more than just drilling the hole out. It must be machined. It can be done without dissassembling the whole engine. You need to take everything off and get it down to a long block (crank case, crank, cylinders, heads) I machine shop will then have enough room to clamp it in a mill and flycut the surface where the starter goes. Once the material covering the hole is gone your starter should slide right in. The trick is to take off the correct amount so the starter drive works with the ring gear properly. If you have an E-start block laying around just duplicate the distance from the face where the starter goes in to the recoil end of the block. If not you will have to install the ring gear into your engine. Get measurements from it to the recoil end, then measure the starter gear to mount base measurement. Allow for clearance and add them up.

It isn't a hard job but not a ten minute quicky.

opsled

Oh this is not the answser I was hoping for. Looks like I would just need a hole for the nose of the starter but I take/rely on your knowledge and experience to know this may be more than a couple beer job. Kids really would like estart but may need to start working out before winter. Thanks opsled.

E-start ?

jackone said:
I am looking at installing e start on the kids Ovation.
The thing starts so easy but the kids want e start.
jackone said:
Kids really would like estart.

How old are your kids ?
....Do they really need the E-start ?

I also have a Ovation/CS-340 ( 1990 ) in the family for the kids.
I have three girls and they have no problem to start the engine by hand
They are born:

:2strokes:

Last edited:
Yeah I know. Warm it is no problem it is just those days when it is real cold and I am not home from work yet. I have all the starter components just wish it was an easier fit up. Kids are 10 and 7. I looked again a little closer. Have to take some measurements and get some picts of how the other starters are mounted. Sure looks like all I need is the hole drilled. Welcome any ideas.

jackone said:
Warm it is no problem it is just those days when it is real cold and I am not home from work yet.
Kids are 10 and 7.
I have thrown that funky butterfly "Teikei" carburettor in the trash can
and put an ordinary Mikuni VM-34 on instead.
Much easier to start and engine running much better.
:2strokes:

Last edited:
Look for used parts.
You might find a junk engine for $25.

Back