SRX Starting

wanasrx

Took the 01 srx for it's first ride yesterday(90 miles). I'm concerned with the way it starts when hot. I have to crack the throttle when i pull it over and she starts right up. All the y's I've ever had you never had to do this and they would start right up. Is this normal ? Without doing this it won't start. All carbs, powervalves cleaned and adjusted to stock specs.
By the way, Mr. Sled, I should have taken your advice on the front rear spring.( backing it off all the way). I left it stock to see how it would ride. Way to stiff for me. My bad.

I see they hit on this in the vmax forum. It looks like it may be normal. I really hate doing it though. BTW idle is at 1800. I was thinking of raising the idle, being it's basically the same difference.

Last edited:
I have to do it with my SRX too. If I were you I would not raise my idle any higher than what it is now. 1800rpm is plenty fine. I run mine about 1500-1600.

I had an 01 that acted like that - come to find out, there was a service bulletin on a relay switch to the headlight that had an effect on how they would start - got that changed and didn't have any more problems - all of my 02's that I have had start right up when they are warm without touching the throttle - I've always like setting the idle at about 2000rpm - just my preference

Its normal all yamis start very easy with a little throttle, my dads sx my srx and now his rx1 even my neighbors viper are the same way just a tad of throttle and she fires right up!

Thanks,
Where would I find the bulletin? Is it something I can do or does the dealer have to do it?

my 2001 srx did that too till last year when i had to replace the cdi.All you have to do is have the head light on high beam and it will start almost every time when warm without giving it some throttle

No it doesn't i think that the problem with the starting problem was corrected in a updated cdi.All the 2000-2001 had that starting problem.Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like your cdi was going bad

The cure was handled in a bulletin which is different than a re-call - take to the dealer and they can tell if the relay has been replaced - if not, they should do it for free

Back