1995 Vmax 600 Jet Size Info / Oil Pump Adjustment

digerati

Hey all. Been reading posts for a year, first time posting.

Traded my old Bravada for a 1995 Vmax 600 ST. 1500 miles on it. Was told it was "stock" and he mentioned the carbs being cleaned at some point. Ran it all last year. Pulled the Carbs to clean before the season.

I was expecting to see the STD setting on the main Jets, only to find one being 145 and the other being 148.8. According to the chart 145 is for 8,000 - 10,000. That isn't horrible, because i live in Missoula, MT and was going to jet it for 6-8000 anyway.

Last year it had been fouling out on idle sometimes, and had to hold the throttle to start even after warm. Smoked a lot, but they all do :x For how fat it ran, I assumed it just wasn't jetted correctly. Hence why I was surprised to see it jetted for 10k.

Haven't replaced the plugs, same ones it came with. They are definitely black, but who knows how old they are.

Now I'm thinking the oil adjustment isn't right. Checked today and the marks are just a little past lining up on wide open throttle. Loosening the oil cable can dangerous territory, so I wanted to get an idea on how much to reduce it?

-Should I match up both jets so they are 148.8? Can I stick with the 145?

-How much oil will be optimal for the way its jetted?

-Futz with the Air Jet, Pilot Jet & Fuel Screw instead?

Last edited:

Wll when you pull the carbs to clean them you can check to see where the air screws are adjusted to by counting the turns in and seating the screw lightly, remember the farther in the screw is the leaner the mixture at idle. (these are by the float bowl) Sounds like it may be set up rich on the pilot/air circuit, plus you talk about it being jetted fat by having to hold the throttle when warm, also the twins are hard on fuel and only get about 80-90 miles per tank of fuel.

I have a manual around here somewhere I'll have to look for it for specs.

Adjusting the cable shouldn't be all that touchy, the 600's were known to be rich on oil and it is possible that you may have a failed pump and it pumps full volume all of the time.

Thanks much for the input.

What will two different main jets be affecting? Is it important(ish) to match them?

Thinking about adjusting/checking oil cable & pump first. Then maybe adjust pilot/air after. Probably not best idea to do both at once? Might be a pain to adjust air screw later... :?

Back