91 Exciter 2 ran and now wont

krisdecker

Hi all,

I had 2 91 exciter 2's. The one ran perfect last year besides a known leaky carb (so i always shut the gas off after every ride)

I stripped both sleds down, swapped the running motor, carbs (after a bath), fuel pump over to the new chassis.

The sled used to start 2nd pull with choke only, no throttle. Now It fires on the initial pull but wont fire up. There is spark (though it seems weak, if that possible I was always taught its either spark or no spark). The plugs are getting fuel.

I also notice blowback on the exhaust, which makes me think the crankcase got flooded with gas. I took the plugs out and carbs off and pulled it 20 or so times and left it open over night.

Came back to it this morning put it all together and still the same thing, fire once each pull but wont run.

Any suggestions where to start?

Last edited:

could have floats stuck on the bowls also yes you can have week spark but buy taken plugs out pulling it 20 times if you dont shut gas off will keep putting gas back in the motor :letitsnow :2strokes:

YAAAA I did shut the gas off, sorry forgot to mention that.

I had the carbs apart and cleaned it all out. did a blow test on the needle seat seemed fine. the floats werent stick at all.

Gunna try a new set of plugs and a spare coil I have kicking around.

I also didnt mention that I did not hook up the key as there was no receiving end on the chassis. However if theres spark that shouldnt be the problem should it?

I rebuilt the motor last year and only put about 10hrs on it. So I dont believe that the stator could be bad or that any crank seals are gone.

Frustrating that it was just running 2 days ago, beautifully. I think it must be a wiring issue, or the crank is still flooded that badly.

Solved. loose wire from the stator. I knew it was something overlooked. Now shes Rippin.

Now its onto the clutching. pretty sure I have the original clutches, unsure whats in them or whats best to put in them.

Back