Easiest way to adjust rear preload?

kinger

VIP Member
Wondering if you need to remove the rear shock to adjust the rear preload? If so is there any compression on it where I would need a spring compressor? Otherwise if you can do it on the sled any hints? I do have the maxx perf tools to adjust the springs.

Rod the arrow head on tuesday and I wanted to soften up my viper just a tad. Thanks!

should be able to adjust with it in , just turn the sled on its side and you can get to it better ,

instead of adjusting the rearspring preload. try the afr adjustment first ( front mounting point of rear spring)

I just put viper shocks on my srx and started with adjuster to stiff (bottom) location. could not keep the inside ski down in a turn and it was a little stiff inthe bumps.

moved to the soft location ( upper position) and it rode awesome, and i can also corner on rails again like my old stock srx springs.

we did this on the trail.jsut need to convince abuddy to lift the back end while you loosen with 14mm wrench and move to upper location and retighten. 1 minute job and easily reversed too if you don't like the change

Ramb

Thanks I have the AFR on medium right now and will put it to soft but have a feeling I will need to soften up the pre load. Just need some fruggin snow in SE mn now!

How much do you weigh? I am waiting on snow also and have updated my SRX to the viper shocks. I have the center shock tightened up a little over half of the adjustment and the FRA in the middle position. It sounds like
I may be too stiff. I weigh just over 200.

I prefer to remove the shock (5min. job), ...hold the adjustment bolt with channel locks and turn the shock with a long screwdriver at the eyelet end (much more leverage), ...I have an adjustment tool and it doesn't work worth a damn.

I weigh 230 so I was surprised, that suspension claims 9" of travel right? I don't think even on medium I was getting more then 4", it never bottomed out and just sent stingers up my back on the rough part of the trails. I think I'll remove the shock. Do I need to adjust both shocks to the same preload or just the longer one in the center? Thanks

ok , before you do anything you know that the preload on the rear shock does nothing to the ride ??? it just adjusts the rider height not softer or harder and it also effects how fast the shock rebounds , the more preload the faster it will rebound , but if your looking for a softer ride you need to get them revalved ....

So the only adjustment is the AFR in front of the larger shock? I have seen revalve kits on ebay for $150 maybe that is a better option?

you can get them done by a shop for 150 - 160 .. i would have somebody that does them for a living do them ....

Back