98 SRX with Servo Motor Issues..help

snowmaan

I have a 98 SRX that seems to have a dead servo. I have searched and tried many of the help related topics on this site but wanted to ask for help with next steps.

The servo motor does not move..i tried the idle at less than 900 RPM's and also reved motor up and nothing. Is there a fuse somewhere that may be bad? How do you tell if its servo or CDI (not sure why this would be bad but many posts indicate that if the servo doesnt move when under 900 rpms that the cdi is bad...).

SO...any direction would be great. THinking of trying to power the servo with an external battery...but dont know what to do.

I am on my second servo moter on my 98...they do die and yes you can jump them cant remember the right wires tho...

i have seen alot of the srx's pinch wires where they exit the cdi and are secured to the steering hoop causing a no go on the servo motor.

do a site search, homemade testers have been experimented with alot using the test plug provided on your sled.

Not saying the servo isnt dead. But turn it by hand or with a pair of channel locks with a rag on it as not to damage servo clock wise. If the servo is already open, (all the way counter clockwise) it wont do anything. You may not be able to keep the speed and RPM's up long enough on a stand for it to open. When you idle it down it opens which is all the way counter clock wise. It takes a bit to close them back up, i dont know how much but not sure running it on a stand is enough. Also they may be stuck? When was the last time they were pulled, cleaned and adjusted? If you havent pulled and cleaned them start their. If they are open, just starting it wont make the servo close (clockwise). Check the simple before you assume the servo is dead or a bad CDI. If you have done this already they yes it could be a bad CDI.

Last edited:
I've got a good servo motor (was working fine when I parted the sled) from a 99 sitting in the garage. If you want/need it - shoot me an offer.

After seeing the post below, I also have a CDI box from a 600 too. Little hotter mid-range timing curve than a 700 box.

Last edited:
I have seen the wire harness rub thru and it shorts out and damages the cdi box, sled will run fine down low but not open up powervalves.
1.) check harness under engine and by cdi box plugs
2.) place meter on wire going to servo motor, check and see if it (cdi) any voltage to operate the servo motor when you idle it under 900 or rev it up over 6500rpm.
3.) if you have voltage present then i would suspect the servo mototr itself is bad. You can always back up your finding by applying power to the servo motor plug with a battery to see if it operates.

Thanks guys! Really love this site ...great guys helping each other out! I will get on this when I am back from business travels this week (ugh!!) and will chase wiring issues.

I would thinking that i could bypass the wiring harness to see if the servo is good/bad if I could determine which wires in the connector to apply pwr and grnd to. That way I am not chasing wires in bad spots (under engine...) for no reason. Thoughts on this? Any insight in which wires to plug into would be great!

I maybe intersted in the 99 servo... send me a pm with price shipped to 56031.

Thanks!

THERE IS A TEST LEAD BY YAMAHA THAT YOU CAN SAFLEY HOOK UP AND NOT BURN ANYTHING UP IN THE ELETRICAL. the sub harness is for setting power valves

I am shure there is only a red wire for positive and a black for ground right off the moter and a 12volt battery works fine.

I made my own harness like the tech section mentioned. It was easy and it works well. You just have to make sure you find the correct coupler port. On the vipers it's above the right foot well, black in color and there's three wires unlike the instructions in the tech section. Like bluewho said you just use the red and the black, not the stripped one. I don't know about the SRX though.

Newbee said:
I made my own harness like the tech section mentioned. It was easy and it works well. You just have to make sure you find the correct coupler port. On the vipers it's above the right foot well, black in color and there's three wires unlike the instructions in the tech section. Like bluewho said you just use the red and the black, not the stripped one. I don't know about the SRX though.

My '01 SRX has a white three port hardshell connector with two wires leading into it (black and red) located under/near the servo motor that I use my homemade adaptor and 12 volt battery to set the servo. Not sure on a '98.

As Staggs mentioned, make sure you back off the adjusters before setting the servo to ensure it's in the proper position for adjustment. If when setting the servo, the wheel turns then backs up a bit it's an indication that the cables are too tight. Back them off and reset the servo wheel.

After the final adjustment I like to reset the servo once more to double check. IMO marking the servo wheel to the housing will get you close but since they are aways apart it's tough to ensure the marks line up.

Hello all, We have a 99 SRX 700 I did add 12 volts to the test connector, I get 12 voltage right to the CDI (RED WIRE) but the server will not move.

Now, which wires from the CDI to the server motor ( they are 5 of them) will activate the motor? so I can test it on the bench. I will also check for
continuity from CDI to MOTOR

Thank you for your help

Back