600 twin port mod?

JandB

Lost coolant and overheated bad enough to melt the tempsensor. It didn't seize. Replaced antifreeze when got home. Now machine is "loosing coolant" Typically out the overflow tank. Can't find another leak. Pretty sure we are getting pressure leak from cylinders into water jacket. We replaced the head gasket with thinner one, (not intentionally) but now have 120+ psi in each cylinder compression up from the 110psi prior to the head gasket. Now things are worse. I suspect a crack in head or cylinder. So is there a common place that this head or jug crack?

Would like to find a problem one so I was comfortable putting back together, I didn't use any sealer on the new head gasket, should I have?

Scrounging around I found 2 more jugs. But someone modified the intake port on one of them. I've attached a pic of both jugs so you can see what was done, left side jug was drilled both sides of the Reed box.

What can you tell me about this mod? what does it benefit or take away from the normal trail riding this machine will see? ie, 20 - 45 mph typically

Attachments

• boost ports vt600.jpg
    boost ports vt600.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 105

The drilled holes are going to the boost ports. Hauke does this mod along with exhaust port porting. Go to thier web site I believe there is info there. Its called Trail porting. Not sure about the gain in performance. I plan on doing this same porting to my 600 this year. I purchased the specs from Hauke since I like to do my own work.

Should note hose leak was repaired on the ride and lake water was added to get the machine home. ie cold water into hot motor. (courtesy of 14 year old son) At least he knew it needed something for coolant.

Thanks for the fast reply! are you referring to Hauckpowersports in Wisconsin? I don't see where they list the specs of what it does. I see they massage the main intake and exhaust ports also. How did you go about getting plans from them? And is there any info on performance gains?

Yes Hauke Powersports in Wisconsin. I called them and asked if they would sell the specs. No info on the performance gains. I was emailed a scetch and pictures of the porting. Hind site I would not pay for it agian. You will definetly have to have matching cylinders. I personally would port the other cylinder to match the ported cylinder. Just my opinion. I like to get more out of an engine if it can be had.

TY Talyzee and denkel for your responses.

I can match the porting but if it is going to hurt mid range, I would rather not this sled get trail use and occassionally pulls a sled.

Would like to know what they were after with this mod. Thanks again Brian

Back