horse power to weight ratio?

97mm700

hey, im wondering the horse power to weight ratio, one of the people said on here that on my viper, changing from the stock seat to the boss high raise on it will add 5 hp from loosing weight, and im going to calculate the hp gain from putting a red head into a rev chassis,

That HP to weight ratio stuff is relevant when getting out of the box and up to speed (drag racing). As speed increases it becomes less and less important. Rolling resistance and aero drag play into it more and more until the hp to the weight advantage becomes almost if not completely insignificant.

Out of the hole and up to 60/70 mph or so a few pounds will help but don't expect to beat anyone on the big end just because your seat is a few pounds lighter.

Ain'ta gon'a happen.

opsled

PS, 5hp from a seat change?? That's one heavy seat.

What opsled said is true... remember force = mass times acceleration, therefore acceleration equals force divided by mass, if you decrease the mass of your sled in any way (or lose a few pounds yourself) it's like dividing by a smaller number, which results in a bigger number, and in this case, a greater acceleration. Bears little to no effect on top end.

so then you are saying I don't need to go on a diet? 5 hp from replacing a seat..then maybe 3 hp from wearing no helmet..and so on.Just imagine how much HP we all lose when our gas tanks are topped up,its like we have a second rider on the sled.... #$%&*

bluemonster1 said:
so then you are saying I don't need to go on a diet? 5 hp from replacing a seat..then maybe 3 hp from wearing no helmet..and so on.Just imagine how much HP we all lose when our gas tanks are topped up,its like we have a second rider on the sled.... #$%&*

You got it right except for the gas part. This is another mathematical/ quantem physics/rocket science sorta equasion. Goes like this here.

Mucho Gas = Mucho $

Mucho HP = Mucho $

Therefore---------

Mucho gas = Mucho HP.........

So, Fill er up and fly!!! lol

opsled

don't matter what gas..it is dead weight..That is why if you go do a race with someone,just put 1 gallon of gas in the tank..you will gain around 10 HP and doesn't have to be mucho gas either..lol

jaydaniels said:
I've heard that roughly a loss of 7lbs equals 1hp gain.

This was in Sledtech a few years ago...but I'm pretty sure it was 7 lbs of rolling mass = 1 hp.

mod-it said:
This was in Sledtech a few years ago...but I'm pretty sure it was 7 lbs of rolling mass = 1 hp.

That is what I remember also, rolling or rotational mass. If you lightened your track up by a few pounds for example, it would be a much better gain than losing a few pounds on a new seat.

Nice post guys this is interesting.......headed to the garage to go remove any useless weight from my Apex MTN this morning. Stoked my Timbersled drop brackets came in!!!!!

doesn't matter how much you can shave from the sled.On a good day of riding you easily pu 100 lbs of snow and ice on the skid,tunnel and front end..

You do realize that to carry 100 lbs of ice would be equivalent to approx 13 gallons or 50 liters by volume. Just saying that 100 lbs would be an excessive estimate of how much accumulates on a snowmobile during a day of riding.

ok then around 50 lbs.When my sled defrosts in the garage and I vacuum it all up..I fill a good 5 gallon pail,depends how much snow is in the tunnel

Back