idling problem

BLUEBY

ran the viper this weekend and towards the end of the day the idle would not drop unless i moved the throttle back and forth then let off. if i din't tap the throttle the idle would stay up around 3800. sticky throttle cable?

Is your idle set correctly, ...also, check your plugs for lean condition.

haven't touched the idle and the plugs were a nice crispy brown. i'll wait till the michigan trip, and if it happens again i'll turn out the fuel screw a 1/4 turn. possible pilot jet could be pluged or some bad gas. i don't think it's very serious issue. thanks

I have 2 more vipers that are now doing this. I just called my dealer - the service guy there said he thought the it is carb synchronization, which of course is not covered by warranty. Does anybody know how to synch the carbs?

9 Times out of 10, its the fuel screw on the vipers , the problem is, its a pain to get to them , the correct way to fix this is to turn the screws until it stops hanging up , for a quick fix turn your idle screw out untill you idle at about 1300-1400 rpms that should fix it until you have the chance to pull the carbs and adjust the fual screws .....

thanks for the help - can you tell me where the fuel screw is and how to adjust that, or is that all in the tech page???

FYI - it did get worse after adjusting up the idle. When it was idling at 1400, it only did it once or twice. With the idle at 1800, it does it every time. The sled won't start without holding the gas too. It will hardly ever start on a couple pulls without choke when the sled is warm without holding the throttle. That sounds like it could be part of the fuel screw too, doesn't it?

that is just a yamaha trait on the triples. To start them when they are warm, you just have to crack the throttle a little bit

I already started a post on about the idle problem. Some more info there. Yes it is a pain to have to press the throttle to start it when its warm.

Back