Set me straight on Helix angles

ReaperSRX

Ok guys, i have spent too much time online last night because i still can't seem to get it into my thick skull which way to go on helix choice to lower my over rev problems. So.....if i am currently running a 53/47 helix with a green spring at 60deg and my initial launch rpms are fine but my peak rpms are 9000.....do i look for a helix with lower angles? 50/37, 52/44 etc.

it's better to tune your rpm with the primary, i would add one gram to the tip of each weight or try a spring with the same preload but less total shift force. if you do want to do it with the secondary you would want to keep the first number the same at 53 and go steeper on the second number, like a 53/50 . the higher the angle the faster the shift thus lower rpm.

ReaperSRX said:
Ok guys, i have spent too much time online last night because i still can't seem to get it into my thick skull which way to go on helix choice to lower my over rev problems. So.....if i am currently running a 53/47 helix with a green spring at 60deg and my initial launch rpms are fine but my peak rpms are 9000.....do i look for a helix with lower angles? 50/37, 52/44 etc.
HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR HELIX,9801 SRX IS RIGHT ON, YOUR PRIMARY NEEDS MORE WEIGHT. NOW WITH THAT SAID, THE BACK NUMER '' 47 '' WILL PUT MORE LOAD ON YOUR MONEY AND SHOULD PULL RPM BACK. '' SHOULD '', BUT DOSE NOT ALL THE TIME, ADD WEIGHT TO YOUR WEIGHTS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I am already at 4.5g in the heel and 5.0g rivet in the tip with a WWW in the primary spring. Where to i go from there and adding weight, those 5.0g rivets i got from Maximum Performance but they no longer exist.

Yammiegod, this has been my ongoing saga for years with this SRX. Last year i thought i had found the solution with the 53/47 but found out the reason my RPMs were in line was because i had a broken PV cable. The clutches have pretty much all new parts and are clean. My full set up is this: 2000 SRX longtracked to 136 w/ripsaw (no studs), longtravel'd front and back, stock gearing, primary has stock weights w/4.5g&5.0g rivets and WWW spring, secondary has 53/47 with green spring at 60deg.

WHAT WEIGHTS YOU USEING. AND HAVE YOU WEIGHED THEM ? YOU CAN TRY AND SLOW YOU SHIFT DOWN SOME TO LIKE A 51-47. OR AGAIN FIND A HELIX WITH STEEPER FINISH TO LOAD MOTOR MORE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

They are the stock 8DN-20's and no i have never actually weighed the weights, i don't have a small digital gram scale. I guess i will wait and go back out Saturday to test the current set up on a good packed section of river to see what it does on launch, mid and top end. I was going to switch back to the stock 47 with red at maybe 80deg because that's all i got left parts.

ENTIRE MASS OF YOUR WEIGHTS IS TWO LITE. TEXT BOOK HERE TO GO TO A DIFFERENT WEIGHT. BELIEVE IT OR NOT ITS A NICE PROBLEM. WHEN A MOTOR WANTS MORE WEIGHT THATS A GOOD THING. 8BU-10 BUD. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I would switch to a diffrent weight like Tony says like the 8Bu-10.
Hauck makes up to gram boldt/nut combo's which i have ran but once you add so much weight your backshift gets lazy which is fine for lake racing but if your are going to lake race you may as well ditch the stock weights.The 8bu10's have a more agressive prfile so you don't need as much weight in them.If you don't have the money right now I would a primary spring klike a yami b-s-b its a 35-101.

Ok, so now i am on the hunt for some 8BU-10 weights, if i am not mistaken those are stock weights from a Vmax 800. Money is never an issue as long as the wife doesn't see my Visa bill! LOL!

ReaperSRX said:
Ok, so now i am on the hunt for some 8BU-10 weights, if i am not mistaken those are stock weights from a Vmax 800. Money is never an issue as long as the wife doesn't see my Visa bill! LOL!

Stock only in '97.

GET YOURSELF A GRAM SCALE. 55 GRAMS IS THE SWEET SPOT WITH THOSE, BUT YOU WILL NEED TO TUNE SO SURE THATS A GOOD STARTING POINT. AND LIKE POSTED, 8BU-10 WERE ONLY USED ON THE 97 VMAX 4. your useing stock pipes here ? 3:16 (yammie tony)

Well looks like i might be trying a little something different. I was talking to a buddy who used to race SRXs and his is going to give me a bunch of part to play with for free! He's got a bunch of primary/secondary springs, 3 or 4 helix' , a whole wack of rivets and a unused set of 8BU-00 weights. Plus he's still have some testing notes! He now runs a couple Apex' and forgot he had the stuff! I will get the stuff Saturday.

Yammiegod, what's your take on the 8BU-00? They are a heavier weight with a pretty aggressive curve.

ReaperSRX said:
Yammiegod, what's your take on the 8BU-00? They are a heavier weight with a pretty aggressive curve.

oh no.........Tony and 8bu weights, he's gonna love this....LOL, had to tease ya Tony!!! ;)!

:letitsnow :letitsnow :letitsnow :letitsnow

THROW THOSE OUT AND GET HEEL CLICKERS. rotflmao YOU WILL HAVE THE FASTEST LONG TRACK SRX OUT THERE. THANKS DON, RIGHT BACK AT YA. 3:16 (yammie tony) ;)!

Last edited:
ReaperSRX said:
Well looks like i might be trying a little something different. I was talking to a buddy who used to race SRXs and his is going to give me a bunch of part to play with for free! He's got a bunch of primary/secondary springs, 3 or 4 helix' , a whole wack of rivets and a unused set of 8BU-00 weights. Plus he's still have some testing notes! He now runs a couple Apex' and forgot he had the stuff! I will get the stuff Saturday.

:jump: LOVE THEM. FOR YOUR SLED AND WHAT YOU DO, I WOULD TRY 8BU-10 FIRST. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Back