'93 Exciter SX, 8 mins of super fun then dead

Just did compression test...60 on one side 90 on the other....the real kikcker here is this thing was just had a piston and rings done on one side in 2009, by the previous owner...ovbiously there is something going on.

When I cleaned the carbs they werent too bad...bowls were clean, AT a loss.

bsbuggs said:
Just did compression test...60 on one side 90 on the other....the real kikcker here is this thing was just had a piston and rings done on one side in 2009, by the previous owner...ovbiously there is something going on.

When I cleaned the carbs they werent too bad...bowls were clean, AT a loss.
NOT GOOD, BUT I WILL TELL YA CONTACT NATE OVER AT excitersx.com. lots of parts. 3:16 (YAMMIE TONY)

JOURNEYMAN, ACTUALLY IT WAS TIM BENDER THAT DESIGNED THE HOT PORT TIMING FOR THE EXCITER SX WITH YAMAHA. I LOVE MINE. I HAVE BENDER SINGLE PIPE AND PSI TWINS FOR MINE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Looks like it got hot and burned up the piston. You sure your water pump is working? Maybe a crank seal or base gasket leaned it out?

Last edited:
Tony that sides pilot jet was clogged. How do those cylinders look to u?
also I had a ton of oil in the belly pan and the oil line was cracked in half.
With the cylinder looking soooo dry I wonder if it wasnt getting any oil as well.

Last edited:
HAD THIS IN ANOTHER POST, I DON,T BELIEVE YOU WILL BURN DOWN BECAUSE OF A SMALL PILOT (size) OR A CLOGGED ONE. THEY CONTROL IDLE, THATS IT. THAT OIL LINE WAS THE CAUSE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

tony thanks fro chiming continually to my millions of questions. I appreciate yours and everyone instructions and ideas.
If it wanst for you guys I dont think I would have tore the thing down even. I just hoping the cylinders are not toast.

LOVE THE EXCITER SX, MINE IS A ROCKET. FINE SOMEBODY WITH A VERY FINE HONE, SHOULD BE ABLE TO CLEAN UP THOSE JUGS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Check the stator; same thing happened to me and I believe, if I recall, had to replacce it. Was a new to me '93 Exciter II with about 1,400 miles, ran fantastic all-day and then, stopped at trailside and could not get it restarted. Rpleaced stator and have put on several hundred miles without issue since.

Be sure to use yamaha gaskets! They are all special to the sx, and help it get the compression numbers that it is supposed to have.

thanks for the suggestions guys...i have one piston, now i need rings and a gasket set. I was hoping to reuse the good piston but I'm not sure.

i pulled the piston (bad one) today here are a few pis of the inside and wrist pin.
I have does a ton of reading about "cold seize" and oil failures. I expected the inside of the piston to show signs of heat from the spark plug...This does not look bad inside. The wrist pin on the other hand look like it took some heat..right?

Attachments

• inside of piston (Large) (Medium).jpg
    inside of piston (Large) (Medium).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2
  • wristpin (Large) (Medium).jpg
    wristpin (Large) (Medium).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Tony
I was planning on getting 2 new pistons, rings, wrist pins and bearings for the piston ( connecting rod end bearings).

I want this sx to run the way it was made to roll, what do you mean by flip it ??

Last edited:
As I get deeper into this I see things that really need fixing. Pulled the air box today man that thing takes up some room! The fuel lines are like mummified, I found a little coolant dripping by the right side heat exchanger from the water pump. Those hoses feel originAl as well....I going to buy at least that hose for the water pump, and all new gas lines.

I'm actually learning Alot as I go along here, haveing a good time to boot.....since its 55 degrees here no harm no foul!

Back