Ideas on carrying extra fuel on an Exciter/Phazer

thefullmonte

The phazer doesn't really have distance issues, but the Exciter does. Wondering if anyone has figured out a way to carry some extra fuel. An extra 3-6L would be nice. I keep thinking maybe some kind of round camping container strapped to the back bumper. Also looking at the space under the hood on the left side in front of the clutch and tools.

Please post up any ideas or containers or jugs you think might work. I appreciate it. Trying to cover my bases for hopefully a trip out west. Lot of off trail riding that is heavy in the throttle. We don't go very far, but use quite a bit of gas.

Thanks everyone.

There was a company called TOUR BUDDY in canada that made plastic tanks that went over your clutch cover.Other than that i have seen some set ups that fit into the rear seat compartment but were a custom built alu tank.

An idea to ponder. Not mine and I don't remember were I saw it. Probably here.

Turn the trunk into an auxiliary tank. You'll have to fabricate something.

It will need it's own filler spout and a vent.

Run the vent line from the OEM (primary) tank to the pickup on the auxiliary.

As the primary tank's fuel is used the vacuum created it it will pull the fuel from the secondary tank replenishing it's supply until the auxiliary is empty. The auxiliary will just serve venting duties after it's fuel is gone.

Haven't done it myself but know it works. Most Yamaha seat trunks are good for a couple of gallons worth of space.

opsled

Some great ideas guys, thanks! My sled is a short track so i don't have the option of putting anything on the tunnel. I like the idea of building it into the seat, but I don't think I'm going to have the time to commit to that project right now. I was trying to find something that fits in the trunk, but the opening is too small. Actually using a fuel cell might be a good idea though.

Keep the ideas coming.
Thanks

Well, I measured this morning and hypothetically it should fit. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but might have to order one and see.

sleddineinar said:
Just fill your pockets with the extra fuel, in ziploc baggies.

I better get the double lock ones. Lol
Talked with my riding partner. And I think he is going to carry extra fuel for me and I will carry everything else in my back pack and trunk. Problem solved for now anyway. I still think that jug looks like a good solution if you don't have good friends willing to carry extra fuel for you.

I have carried a siphon and a small empty jug with me ...Someone
will have "enough" fuel in a buddies sled to borrow some. Also carry
a small container of two cycle oil (for those w/o working autolube).
I also carried a metric and sae tool set, axe , come along, spare belt,
frisbee(holds removed parts during repair), spare mitts, recovey rope,
first aid kit , duct tape,,,gosh ther must be more ...
Forgot to tell you...it's a 93 VK540 and that is all under the seat..
and it seldom leaves home...LOL
Ron

We used to fix this all the time on the SRV by adding an artic cat tank to the trunk. Artic cat made a tank to fit the trunk area of their late 80s sleds gave you another 1.8 gallons fits inside the trunk looks stock works great you should still be able to find them automatically drains into the front tank.

why don't you just STOP AT THE GAS STATION a LITTLE MORE OFTEN????? duh ????

i still remember spending half the nite in the woods after i found out the gas station closed early some days,i think i could go about 90 miles a tank,that artic tank sounds like a good idea

Thanks for the heads up on the Arctic tank. I will do some checking. And I would stop at a gas station more often if I ever saw one. When we ride out west we take a trail to a good area then we are boon docking most of the day. So unless we happen across some elk with some fuel strapped to it's back I'm pretty out of luck. lol My buddy did say he would carry the extra fuel and I could pack everything else. The way this season is looking I may not get to ride it at all anyway. What a strange winter here in the states. :letitsnow

RON HYDRAULIC YAM said:
I have carried a siphon and a small empty jug with me ...Someone
will have "enough" fuel in a buddies sled to borrow some. Also carry
a small container of two cycle oil (for those w/o working autolube).
I also carried a metric and sae tool set, axe , come along, spare belt,
frisbee(holds removed parts during repair), spare mitts, recovey rope,
first aid kit , duct tape,,,gosh ther must be more ...
Forgot to tell you...it's a 93 VK540 and that is all under the seat..
and it seldom leaves home...LOL
Ron

This is good advice. Especially out west I carry:
Obviously an extra belt.
water/food
emergency shelter
foil heat blanket and those small heat packs
heat candles
shovel/ saw
extra gloves and goggles
first aid kit.
snobunje tow system
Depending where I ride I will use an avalanche beacon. Won't be needed with this sled. lol

Back