New YPZ primary clutch with no balance holes drilled in cover

phazerowner

I just bought a brand new in the box ypz primary clutch and i'm in the process of assembling the unit. I noticed there are no balance holes drilled into the cover like my other ypz clutches and wondered if this will be a problem. If so how would i get this clutch balanced?

The original clutch assemblys are balanced as a unit, there are match marks on the parts. I don't know how it is done with replacement parts. Replacing just one part, even if it was balanced on its own, would put the clutch out of balance. I would assume that the parts were balanced, so if you are replacing everything, it would be in balance. The cover may have been in balance, so no holes were needed. Assemble it with the X's on the parts lined up.

See if you can find someone locally who can check the balance on it. Maybe a dealer. And it wouldn't have to be yamaha. A good mechanic would certainly be able to do this. It's not as hard to find someone to do this as you might think.

An out of balance clutch can cause big trouble. Even a few ounces can equal pounds of force at the end of the crank when it's spinning. This can take out crank seals, or even the crank itself. That's not a chance I would take.

Back