Suggestion on "Vintage"

Jan Luthe

Mr. Sled:

Good site. Appreciated the help/suggestions I got from members. Suggest you 'attach' to "Vintage" up to what year vintage applies.

I think he means like a specific model year range, like 1960-1985. Think this was brought up before, like whether for example the 83 Vmax should be posted in the Vmax section or the vintage section.

killerklown said:
I think he means like a specific model year range, like 1960-1985. Think this was brought up before, like whether for example the 83 Vmax should be posted in the Vmax section or the vintage section.

So you would like sub forums under the vintage based on Years?? Can we elaborate on what years and when to brake them?

I don't think that vintage should be broken into years. I suggest the heading "Vintage" be changed to something like "Vintage (1985 or older)". I'm not sure whether 1985 is the correct year for vintage. When I was looking for info on my sled I didn't know whether to look under Vintage or under all other Yamahas because I didn't know to what year Vintage applied to.

Jan Luthe said:
I don't think that vintage should be broken into years. I suggest the heading "Vintage" be changed to something like "Vintage (1985 or older)". I'm not sure whether 1985 is the correct year for vintage. When I was looking for info on my sled I didn't know whether to look under Vintage or under all other Yamahas because I didn't know to what year Vintage applied to.

I like that idea, I would think Vintage on this site maybe should be 1996 or older.... this site was started on the Pro-action Sleds. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Maybe it shoould be a floating date?
For our Ontario trail permits--- 15 years and older are considered Classic Sleds
Just a thought

I am not familiar enough with the forum sites/volumes and/or sleds to know how it should be broke down. My initial suggestion would be Vintage (1985 or older), next would be Yamaha 1986-1996, next Yamaha after 1997 and on. The years that I mentioned should probably be changed so that the categories reflect the 'style' of sled. What I mean is that the 'year' should be when there was a significant change in machines, whether it was horespower, going liquid cooled or something else. The exisiting number of threads in a category will also influence the year breakdown. For me, as a novice (on both the forum and snowmachines), the categories should be such that it would be easier for me to track info. A consideration might be to see how other forums do it. I'm not sure if I'm helpful. Hope I am.

Kevin: I don't suggest a floating date because then all the threads for a ceretain year would have to be transferred over every time the year in the floating date is changed.

What age do most states offer a Vintage trail permit ? Pennsylvania is in the process of adding a one time permit for anything 25 years and older and yes, the cutoff moves a year every year. Question is what do people consider the newer stuff ? Most would consider anything under 10 years newer, maybe not necessarily state of the art but, definitely newer. I believe most consider anything from the long travel revolution of the early 1990's on up at least in the modern age of snowmobiles. By the 90's most all sleds had reliable electronic ignitions, hand warmers, oil injection, more than 6" of front/rear travel, even some with fuel injection.

One has to take into consideration Cars & Motorcycles have been mass produced over 100 years and sleds are at ~50 years. We are not talking furniture.
-Classic 10 or 15 yrs. and older ?
-Vintage 25 yrs. and older
-Antique 35 (?) yrs. and older

Jan Luthe said:
Kevin: I don't suggest a floating date because then all the threads for a ceretain year would have to be transferred over every time the year in the floating date is changed.

So, 50 years from now a sled made today will still not be considered ?

Vmax540: It would be a lot of work to switch over the threads whenever a year change is made. May be, instead of calling a sled antique or vintage, maybe we should drop the name and just classify the categories by 2-stroke: 1985 and earlier, 1986-1996, 1997-2007, and so on. Range of years could be classified according to 'style' that I mentioned earlier.

Seems like a big hassle on the horizon...
I would not break it off at 85, since sleds like the Vmax 540 were VERY similar from 83-91, so people would still be looking at mutiple forums for the same sled. I think Mr.Sled was closer with the 97 or whatever it was.

killerklown said:
Seems like a big hassle on the horizon...
I would not break it off at 85, since sleds like the Vmax 540 were VERY similar from 83-91, so people would still be looking at mutiple forums for the same sled. I think Mr.Sled was closer with the 97 or whatever it was.

right on ;)!

Let's narrow it down. Is it 91, 97 or somewhere in between. I don't know enough about this era so please use your knowledge of sleds and provide your input. I love the constructive feedback from the members! It will result in a concensus!

Back