Please help?

razzledazzle

A guy I work with decided he was going to tear down his 02 viper tonight and took off the head and one cylinder without draining the coolant first. I told him his crank is probably full of coolant but do not know what he should do. Some one please help me so I can help him fix this so we can go riding this weekend.

once he gets all of the coolant out, have him drown that hole with fogging oil, and then soak it up, and repeat. Anti freeze and bearings mix like fire and gas. Maxdlx

I did that once. I tilted the sled to one side to get the coolant to pool on one end. Then I took a small hose and stuck it in between the crank and got it to sit on the bottom of the case. Then I sucked on it to get it to flow. Kept doing that until I could see with flash light that most/all was gone. Then used fogging oil, gas/oil mixture and poured some down into the case. Swashed it around and sucked that out using same method. Then put it back together and ran it with a pretty heavy oil content of pre-mix.

No problems that time. Good luck.

I am not that farmilier with sleds, so when he gets done their should be no fluid in the crank? Then does he have to put anything back in or just runn it with premix. It was kind of funy this morning because the guy is now walking around like an idiot.

use a turkey baster used to suck up the juices while you are roasting meats, and use this to draw the antifreeze out of the crankcase. Just make sure you get your wife a new one, because you probably dont want to be feeding your family ethylene glycol, unless... ;):D

Ya

Come to think of it, I think I used a turkey baster too instead of the hose. Been a couple of years.

Right, just get all the fluid you can out and bolt it back together and run it.

After removing coolant w/ turkey baster, put about 1/2 qt oil in the crank case and turn the engine over several times. let oil sit overnight to displace coolant in crank bearing and then use turkey baster to remove oil and put back together.
When together, if its is dificult to turn over, you may have too much oil/coolant in crankcase (vapor lock) and may bend a rod if you start the engine!

Back