instrament panel upgrade/removal

smkin_exciter_420

i dont like the look of the headlight and instament panel on the handlebars..... has anyone removed it and did something custom? any ideas? let me know thanks

i was planning to remove it and put on something from a mc. (streetfighter style) i think that could be really cool. But then i realized... if i do that i kill the trademark of the exciter which is the starwars front.... so i just made a halfway solution with mc bar and a 6" riser. I´ve seen exciters that removed the whole thing and put small headlights on the hood instead. It´s a question of taste and what your after... Me on the other hand wanna keep the soul of the original thing when it comes to that mod, atleast for now:)

That is the part I always liked about the sled. If I was going to change anything, I would add a small battery and an HID bulb kit to it to help out with driving and change the gauges over to something bigger.

i heard of a kit once to bolt it right to the hood,never saw one,once you get used to it,its weird not to have the light shine were youre turning,has its ups and downs

you know im starting to like it too.. last night i was riding around and the throttle stuck wide open and i just held on trying to turn the key off...... i ended upp pulling the key out!! i dont have a (wooorking) kill switch... and some how i got the key in and turned it off but if i didnt have the light where i was turning i could have steerd the wrong direction ...(twards rocks and trees) ... i have two fog lights on the hood too.. imm gonna keep it ..the hood sits to low any ways.. i was gonna take the panel off my ole' 82 excel3 it would work good but i changed my mind....does anyone have any good methods to remove the bolts from the front upper and lower strut arms? my bolts are froze into the bushings or sleeves.... unforgivful things.. i have a lot of free play in the skis ... i was just gonna put shims or washers in between the arms where they bolt.... any other solutions??? thanks for the opinions!! also the sled doesnt turn very sharp or well at that... ive never owned an exciter or phaze before .. so im just trying to get this sled down....i like to have it all dialed in before i go up to the mountain to rippp it in the fluffy stuff.. thanks guys!

only way ive seen to remove bolts is tocut em off,the inner sleeve wont fitthrew the arms,then you need new bolts and sleeves,as far as turning how are the carbides?as far as freeplay i tightened everything and still had play,tracked it down to the lower steering post rod end,had to pull the motor to change it,big difference though,what are those fog lights wired to?do you have a stock rear suspension?

They sell a shim kit for the TSS struts, it comes with 3 different thicknesses of shims. I highly recommend it after you cut all the bolts off and replace them. It REALLY tightens up the front end. And dsc577 is right, changing the steering rod end makes a huge difference in how well the machine steers. Mine is nice and tight and has NO freeplay at all. When I turn the skiis, the steering turns exactly at the same time.

smkin_exciter_420 said:
you know im starting to like it too.. last night i was riding around and the throttle stuck wide open and i just held on trying to turn the key off...... i ended upp pulling the key out!! i dont have a (wooorking) kill switch... and some how i got the key in and turned it off but

Fix the throttle over ride switch. It is on the throttle linkage.

ya the suspension in the rear isnt stock it has fox shock and some other goodies...i have the fog lights wired to the positive terminal on the battery ....even though i dont have a battery in right now....prolly never will..ya i figured i would have to cut em off.. oh well but ya i also noticed most of the play was at the bottom of the shaft...what are the pros and cons on widing the front struts out?? any personal excperiances would be great if ull share them thanks guys couldnt do it without you......well probably but id spend way more time and money!!i love forums thanks guys!

well i seen you wanted to take it to the mountains where having less front ski pressure would be a good thing,i would test it there and look for rear spring adjustments,the front rear suspension is usually set stiff to provide a rocking motion to transfer weight to the back,rear spring can be adj soft or hard to provide more ski pressure,rider weight makes a difference so you have to adj and test

i replaced em with some used ones i had,needed to pull the motor to do it,maybe they can be shimmed with strips cut from a beer can like i did on my sxr?

ya ill try it. cuz i just hate all that slack..ive seen people widen the frame where the struts bolt on... why? how would it ride widend? by the way i am very new with sleds i only rode my 81 exell 3 till i got this thing

Back