Dumb question on oil cable

79ET340EC

Went to check oil cable adjustment on my 2001 Venture 700 today. The sled is newer to me. I followed the manuals direction and tried to pull the cable housing out of the adjuster to measure gap. It wouldn't budge. How hard do you have to pull? I didn't want to break anything, just check adjustment. Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks for the replies. Yep, pulled the rubber cover up and yes, it's the oil cable. It is the adjuster that's inline that would be above the carbs, right?

On a sidenote - MH327, where in NE Ohio are you? I grew up there.

I might be mistaken but dosent the 01 venture still have the old style oil pump where you need to lign up the marks and not adjust a gap. Look for the pump out in the open on the mag side. Here is a link if it is that style. It will also show you what it looks like. http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showpost.php?p=374347&postcount=7 Worth a shot, only thing i can think of as why your having trouble.

Pump on my sled is located on the back of the engine, below the center cylinder reed cage. It's pretty hard to see but looks like it may be the "line up the marks" style. Oddly though, my manual shows the pull the cable out of the adjuster and measure the gap method. Is it possilbe that my sled has an old style cable? Also, the sled came out of NY near Buffalo. The speedo is all km with no mph numbers on it at all. Were all speedos that way? Just wondering if this may have been a Canadian sled and came over the line at some point... thanks for the help so far!

There would be no "line-up" marks on a 700 redhead oil pump. The cable must be stuck, did you try twisting it? Also have you noticed you're burning too much oil? or are you just checking things over? If you're burning about a quart of oil to a tank of gas, you should be fine, no need to adjust the cable.

I'll try again. :) No, oil usage is fine. Just wanted to verify adjustment as it's a newer sled to me. Thanks for all of the help!

sleddineinar said:
There would be no "line-up" marks on a 700 redhead oil pump. The cable must be stuck, did you try twisting it? Also have you noticed you're burning too much oil? or are you just checking things over? If you're burning about a quart of oil to a tank of gas, you should be fine, no need to adjust the cable.
Thanks sleddineinar, couldnt remember when they switched. Couldnt think of any other reason. Could be stuck for sure.

Hello. I have a quick question about oil cable adjustment. It may or may not be a dumb question but here it is:
Do I pull the cable up till it stops, then measure the gap? Or am I supposed to have a gap in it with the cable sheath at rest?
Btw, I am working on a 1997 yamaha vmax 700 sx.
Thank you for your time and consideration. :letitsnow

Back